The KOSS!!!!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: The KOSS!!!!

Postby Banker on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Here's something you won't see anywhere else.

Every studio recording made by Koss during the Free years was through this very cab. It was given to a friend by Paul Rodgers and is currently living at my place. I shit you not, this info came "from the horse's mouth".

I dare not play through it in case I blow the fcuking thing up.

When only pinstripe will do.
Banker
Squire

Postby Ned B on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Banker wrote:Here's something you won't see anywhere else.

Every studio recording made by Koss during the Free years was through this very cab. It was given to a friend by Paul Rodgers and is currently living at my place. I shit you not, this info came "from the horse's mouth".

I dare not play through it in case I blow the fcuking thing up.

Intriguing!

Tell us more, like what's inside and what head went through it. Is there any truth to his using a Selmer?
Ned B
Baron

Postby Banker on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Short answer is I don't know Ned.......but I'm seeing Paul soon so will ask.

I'll open it up over the weekend and take some photos.

Sorry I don't have more info........other than it weighs about the same as my house.
Banker
Squire

Postby Ned B on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:06 am

The idea of getting some exclusive first hand accounting of real musical history is pretty exciting!
Ned B
Baron

Postby pdf64 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Wow, this will be interesting!
If possible, some photos please, especially close ups of magnet labels, codes on speaker chassis / cone.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby power lover on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:52 am

the highest wattage speaker back then was 30w. How did he run is superlead through a 60w cab?
power lover
Knight

Postby Ned B on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm thinking he didn't use a Marshall in the studio. Maybe a Selmer head? Answers Banker might provide. I hope we can get the specifics on Koss' recording specs.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Banker on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Sorry for the tardy response.......man-flu, so I'm very nearly dead.

I don't know what wattage the cab is, I'll pull it apart this week and post photos. I'll try to get the recording info from Paul, he knows his stuff being a player too.
Banker
Squire

Postby power lover on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 am

no marshall in the studio would be news to me. I laboured under the impression it was a big 2" drake for his album tones but maybe that was just live rig. Going through his recorded tones, it does seem unmarshally in many places and I am surprised at the variety of tones he gets on the first 3 albums. Man his tone sounds great on vinyl ! FREE LIVE currently on the old turntable.

can't wait to find out what speakers are in there. goodmans? and I'll guess a selmer zodiac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-Thunderb ... 2599d39375

gotta be one of these :
http://www.ampaholics.org.uk/vintage%20speakers.htm
power lover
Knight

Postby Joshabr1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:01 am

He definatly used Marshall's and 4 12s in the studio guys. All u have to do is listen. The tone on most of the albums is pure 100 watt into 412 to me.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Joshabr1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:03 pm

There is no doubt he used some other things as well. Arn is def no marshall.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Banker on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 am

Short answer is that I have zero idea of what Koss used in the studio, I'm not a Free fan and don't know their music or sounds.......so no axe to grind here. As said, it's not mine......just parked here for a while.

The background information, and the cab, came from Paul Rodgers in person. His specific comment was that Koss used this cab for all Free studio albums......and he said it like he meant it. It wasn't a cheap throw-away line, more of a "here's the juice" type remark. It was a special gift to a musical collaborator, and understood to be such.

I'll open it and take pictures later today.
Banker
Squire

Postby Joshabr1 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:25 am

Please. I'm dying to know what speakers are in that.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Banker on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Well, the drivers are a pair of Goodmans Audiom 61, ceramic 12's. The green labels denote "normal resonance". There's an unbelievable amount of thick cladding in the cab, I've never seen anything like it. It's closed back BTW.

The reason it took so long to post this is that I wanted to get the story straight given its importance to some people. Seems I'm wrong. Not every track Free was a Wallace, but it was used "very often", per Paul Rodgers.

Banker
Squire

Postby pdf64 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:45 pm

It looks like the red label Audiom are for hifi, with a foam surround, almost certainly a low bass resonance.
These's a green label one available, not sure if the cone looks too good to be original? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodmans-Audi ... 1c4bd8c637
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones