Telecaster pot question

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Telecaster pot question

Postby ed_shred on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:40 pm

I've taken my telecaster (American Traditional, c. 1990) out of its case for the first time in quite a while, and both pots seem to be shot.

I've had a look to see what kind of pots I need to buy, and they appear to be marked B500k for the volume pot, and D500k for the tone pot. Does this sound right? I've looked on ebay, and the telecaster pot sets appear to A500k and B500k. Will these sets work for my guitar? What do the letters in the the pot spec mean?

Thanks!
No fear, no envy, no meanness
ed_shred
Certified

Re: Telecaster pot question

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:02 pm

usually pots can be quickly and easily repaired with DeoxIT D5

dissolves corrosion, lubricates, protects, safe on plastic and all electronic components including digital devices

I even fixed my dishwasher with some by spraying the door switch which was loosing contact in the middle of the cycle

just spray some on, wiggle the pot back and forth, then followup with another shot to flush the corrosion out

I can't tell you how many things I've fixed with it, stuff is a miracle

they also have a version for batteries, which I used on the A/C remote control and now it's working again too.

YAY :excited:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby ed_shred on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 am

Thanks for the tip Unit_1, I'm not sure that this problem can be cured in this way... the volume pot never goes above about 1/3 volume, but can keep spinning to infinity, and the tone pot seems to work, but sometimes turns freely and at other times just seizes up.
No fear, no envy, no meanness
ed_shred
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 pm

sounds consistent with grime and corrosion to me, in any case it's not very expensive and is great for the pots on all your guitars and amps to be sure they stay in top operating condition...

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/S-CD5S-6

i also sprayed this into the HDMI connector on my laptop when it was loosing contact and fixed that too
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby stratele52 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 am

A pot is Audio pot or logarithmic, this pot have a "slow / smooth " range . Great for volume on guitar and amp.

Most used pots in audio stuff

B pot or linear have a "fast" range . If you use it as a volume you hear maximum volume at 3 .
stratele52
Knight

Postby vez on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:39 am

ed_shred wrote:I've taken my telecaster (American Traditional, c. 1990) out of its case for the first time in quite a while, and both pots seem to be shot.

I've had a look to see what kind of pots I need to buy, and they appear to be marked B500k for the volume pot, and D500k for the tone pot. Does this sound right? I've looked on ebay, and the telecaster pot sets appear to A500k and B500k. Will these sets work for my guitar? What do the letters in the the pot spec mean?

Thanks!

The letter represent the rate of change of resistance as the pot turns at a consistent rate.
With "B" pots, the rate of change of resistance is linear. The rate of change of resistance is the same throughout.
With "A" pots the rate of change of resistance is exponential. The rate of change of resistance accelerates.
The "D" pot has two rates of change. Both rates are linear. As you turn the pot the rate of change in resistance is slow but after the halfway point its fast.
If you can't find a "D" pot I would try an "A" pot.
vez
Squire

Postby housekustoms on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:21 am

vez wrote:The letter represent the rate of change of resistance as the pot turns at a consistent rate.
With "B" pots, the rate of change of resistance is linear. The rate of change of resistance is the same throughout.
With "A" pots the rate of change of resistance is exponential. The rate of change of resistance accelerates.
The "D" pot has two rates of change. Both rates are linear. As you turn the pot the rate of change in resistance is slow but after the halfway point its fast.
If you can't find a "D" pot I would try an "A" pot.

And for you lefties...a "C" pot is an audio pot with reverse taper.
:cheers:
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby pdf64 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Bear in mind that these codes aren't eternal / global standards.
eg pots made in Europe may use a 'B' code for a 'log' taper, equivalent to audio.

I've not seen that 'D' spec before; where is it defined?
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby vez on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:36 am

pdf64 wrote:Bear in mind that these codes aren't eternal / global standards.
eg pots made in Europe may use a 'B' code for a 'log' taper, equivalent to audio.

Good point. I didn't know that.
pdf64 wrote:I've not seen that 'D' spec before; where is it defined?

A quick search revealed this link.
http://www.rane.com/par-p.html#pot
But, I think you could find a graph with further investigation.
Do you think Im giving him a bum steer telling him to try an "A" pot to replace his "D"?
vez
Squire

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips