are bassplayers not interested in vintage gear?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Re: are bassplayers not interested in vintage gear?

Postby jaywalker on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 am

sunnhead wrote:Yes the 200 series were great amps, I own a few tasty kustom rigs. I have a sweet Kustom 400B-1 with (2) 3x15 cabinets each laded with JBL D140F-6! I also have a sweet 1x18 CV loaded Kustom cab with a 200 head. Lots of cool goodies :-) Come down to the Kustom Convention in Chanute KS, may of 2012, you will find lots of cool gear for sale there!

http://www.kustomcollector.com/ Coming soon.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:23 am

Something I'd sort of like to do is visit Fort Scott just down the road from Chanute. My uncle lived in Chanute last I heard and Ft. Scott is my father's birthplace. I did a musical tour 150 miles west of Witchita out by Pawnee Rock and Fort Laramie, but never made it east. If I win the Lotto I'll buy a ticket and go to the Kustom show.

Interesting that even with the recent forum software upgrade this room still doesn't have "edit" capability. Maybe it's an intentional slight for bass players. :)
jaywalker
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Oh yeah. I forgot

Sunn Model T Super (aka 2nd gen)

Sound City B150

Ampeg B15N "fliptop"

Ampeg B25B
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Der Bassmann on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 am

are bassplayers not interested in vintage gear?

Iam! :mrgreen:

Echolette BS 40 - vintage German bass amp, ~1965, 3xECC808 + 2xEL34. 8)
The cab is quite new, but the speaker is an original Echolette (~ 1967) made by Isophon.
The bass in the picture is a '62 reissue. I also own a 1975 P bass (black/maple), which I actually play more often.

Sure, I have to push the amp quite a bit to keep up with the band, but that slightly overdriven, compressed sound is just what I want. If I need more volume, I just add more cabs.
Der Bassmann
Peasant

Postby AC50 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:15 am

I split the signal to these two amps, running one for high and one for low. It's plenty loud enough for sensible playing, especially with todays professional sound reinforcement systems, and it sounds great! Remember, Paul McCartney and Bill Wyman played stadiums full of screaming girls with one AC100!

Vox AC50 / Mojave 4x12 cabinet (Highs and upper mids)
Vox AC100 / Sunn 200s 2x15 cabinet (Bass and lower mids)

All EL34s! 8)

AC50
Emperor

Postby Painterman on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:02 am

I picked up a '68 Mosrite Ventures bass in Ink Blue about 2 years ago. I'm the 2nd owner. It's in minty mint condition - all of the original case candy is in the ohsc.

Oh, and that amp is a '63 Ampeg B15n.
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby nutter on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:17 pm

i thought i was alone till some dude told me of this forum...

nice to be among lots of distinguished players. vintage amps and bass players? i did transistors for too long.

i had a go first on n old vox bass through i think a laney valve bass amp. it was very clear and not massivly impressive, so i went back to my rig 500w peavy m5, and there was trace. they made an impression because i could lug them about and have the ability to do something after.

i had a session with a fender bassman. now that was annoying because of the earth in the studio was being picked up in the valves. it was small too. nice harmonics. it has the ability to make a crap bass sound great. aria pro 2 no frills. then i heard cut chemist slicing up some axlerod, and that bass sound was IT (Carol Kay). So, i had an SWR valve preamp combo that got close to that sound, then sold it. hearing an orange, played one, not massivly impressed, then a burman pro 4000. SOLD instantly. The beast is still with me 11 years later.

so its the valves expence. finding alternatives to gold lion kt77 and watching them burn every gig was a joy, but expencive and narssasitic. since i got it, it was running ho, and i was none the wiser. a set of quads lasted a year for 30 gigs. lugging it about aint good either, cos if they're warm and soft (ehem!) they are sensitive to bumps (erm excuse me) and can collapse...

i can just do it alone and my head vain has grown. (dirty ba$74rd) its inertia is insain. it has the tone that nothing can touch, untill maybe now. I rarely had it above 4 for volume, its incredably LOUD!! ... 120w sounding louder and clearer than a 500? wow!

now, the tmax 500 and maybe a range more new 'vintage' gear can get close to that vintage tone. a good cab is key to a good presence though, and pick ups + positioning. I play a viger passion active and a tbird passive. they both do very well on voicing and harmonics, imo. i found a 4x10 works well and 2 x15 for earthworks. the girls love it, and so everyone is happy to boogy.

im aware there is a small rennisance of valve gear emerging, and it looks tasty and managable. valves being manipulated too by digital interfacing (line6). also the pre amp valve in dual channel amps (i had 5 in the burman) are getting good. but the quantity of valves really makes a difference. the burman has 2 channels both with a bass boost. Uuuuh wowee! the presence tone throws out the sound of crystal clarity, and your pick ups are a totally new beast. its just sooo big, and it looks like it needs headlights. mopeds weigh less.
:excited:

sorry for spelling. cheers
nutter
Peasant

Postby Painterman on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:12 pm

So this competition red '69 Mustang Bass followed me home today. It's in good company w/ the '69 competition blue one.
Now I just need a competition yellow one to round out the collection. 8)

Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Previous

Return to Bass Talk