Shave / Sand ES-335 Neck?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Shave / Sand ES-335 Neck?

Postby AR999 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:34 am

I recently bought a new ES-335, I love the guitar, but all my Les Pauls and my SG have the thinner necks on them, the 335 is one of the basic models that doesn't have binding around the neck, in fact the neck feels like a late 50's LP Jr. I know lots of guys have had Les Pauls and other Gibson necks sanded down or reshaped to a thinner depth, but I was wondering if anyone here knows anyone willing to do it these days and what to expect for a cost. I wouldn't want the neck refinished after the work, just sprayed with a clear coat. The guitar plays pretty well, and being new the frets are perfect, I am just hung up on the neck when I switch guitars, especially to my SG.. I know that this will kill any resale value of the guitar, but that's ok, I didn't buy this one as an investment, I wanted an ES 335 style I can really play and not worry about a few dings or dents accumulating. I guess cost will be my final decision maker, but any thoughts on if this is a bad idea or guys that will/have done it?
Thanks!
AR999
Peasant

Re: Shave / Sand ES-335 Neck?

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:31 pm

If you tell us where you are we could probably recommend a luthier that is competent and not money hungry

this is a fairly modern guitar? i think almost everyone would cringe at doing something like this to a vintage....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby AR999 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 pm

No it's not a vintage Gibson, before I spent the money on the vintage ones I own, I made sure I liked every aspect of the guitar .. This one is a budget model ES-335 reissue (I grabbed off ebay for a steal) , it's still a real USA Gibson, but nothing that I'll have terrible regrets about doing any permanent work to. I know of people that have had their huge LP Jr necks shaped to be thinner, but wasn't sure about how the structure of a big semi-hollow body would adapt to a more slim SG style neck profile that I want...
I'm located in DC, so my options are all in Virginia or Maryland, I've heard good things about Arlington Fret Works, and I have had work done before at Metro Guitar Service by Greg, but I know that he sub-contracts fretwork and such to someone in Baltimore (maybe Philtone?).. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone on the board has had a 335 sanded/shaped before, and if so how it came out. I have emailed one luthier that I was recommended to by a colleague, but he wanted $250 and would not guarantee how thin he could get the neck and still feel comfortable about it, and once he started the project, it was the same price to finish whether the outcome what I was hoping for or not, at $250, I'd rather not take the chance of getting only a single mm taken off, I'd expect the slim taper SG neck that I want, but then again, this is why I am posting here, to see if people thinks it's a feasible idea..
AR999
Peasant

Postby Ned B on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 pm

I think changing the shape of a neck is a waste of time and a bit risky. I say adapt to it. If it plays well that's the main thing IMO.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Torren61 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:37 am

I sanded down the neck on a 1977 LP. I just took my time and sanded and sanded until I got it where I wanted it. Just take some 150 grit sandpaper and start there. Keep sanding until you get it where it feels thin enough to you. Then move to higher grades. 220, then 320, then 400 and so on until you get to 1500. Then use 0000 steel wool. You'll get that neck so smooth and thin, you'll love it.
Torren61
Court Jester

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips