Humbucker Cover Question

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Humbucker Cover Question

Postby AR999 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 am

Hello,

I have what seems to be kind of an ambiguous question that I can't find a straight informed answer for... I just purchased a newer Gibson that has a Dirty Fingers Plus installed, well as most of us know the pickup has two rows of adjustable pole pieces instead of the typical PAF style slugs in one. My question is, can you still put a regular nickel cover on the pickup? I know that I would need to lower the front pole pieces so that they will not be touching the cover, or even put a small strip of tape over them before I place the cover on... Would this work and still sound decent? I know I will lose signal/output from the pickup (but it's got plenty to spare as it reads over 17 ohms).... Normally I wouldn't ask such a silly question, but the guitar is my first Gibson that utilizes the Quick Connect system and I'd like to try to salvage the pickup instead of buying a pricey replacement right away... So back to it, Can I cover one side of the Dirty Fingers? Thanks for any input...
AR999
Peasant

Re: Humbucker Cover Question

Postby skeeterbuck on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:12 pm

I never done a humbucker with both screw coils like the Dirty Fingers but it should work just fine.

If you've never done it before you can search youtube for videos that show the correct procedure for soldering on the covers. I'd also recommend nickel silver covers over brass plated covers. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
skeeterbuck
Court Jester

Postby rick13 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 pm

As mentioned above this should work fine, but be sure you add the tape. I assume that you are adding a cover to get back to a more traditional covered look. I often drip a thin layer of potting wax inside the top of the cover as added insurance to keep it from going microphonic, but you are likely to be Okay with the tape. When I am doing this, I will take my potting wax and add some shavings to the inside of the cover, clamp it together and then lightly hit the cover with a heat gun to melt the wax and set the bobbins in the thin layer of wax. The real key is getting proper fitting covers.
good luck
Rick
rick13
Peasant

Postby AR999 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 am

Well, the Dirty Fingers was muddy enough when playing straight up rock, adding a cover to it, just compounded the problem, so I found one of the less expensive Gibson '61 Zebra humbuckers (with the Quick Connect) used, and I'll put a cover on that, until I decide I like the guitar enough to fork over a good amount of money for a '57 Classic plus with the Quick Connect™ .. By the way, those are weird pickups, they may be loud, but they seem to stay really clean, almost like an icepick then turn straight to mud on the EAD strings, at least through my Silver Jubilee anyway. Thanks for the responses guys... !
AR999
Peasant

Postby AR999 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 am

By the way to clarify, the pickup I was referring to as "those are weird pickups, they may be loud, but they seem to stay really clean, almost like an icepick then turn straight to mud on the EAD strings, at least through my Silver Jubilee anyway." is the Dirty Fingers.. not the '61 Zebra Coil, I'm actually really liking that pickup.
AR999
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips