Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Re: Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:34 am

U1, you won't be disappointed. I needed to change my settings a bit in my pedal chain, these pedals were not an issue. I pulled the backs off both pedals and tested in and out of buffers, repeatedly, clean and different drives, both pedals. They don't screw with the tone in any bad way. Interesting is that the pc boards on both pedals look to be identical, versions are id'd different but the traces look to be the same on the back side. But both are entirely different animals. I'm leaving the buffers in on both pedals.

I also put a Carbon Copy in front of the epoch to see how it relates and to compare. Huge difference the CC compared to the Belle Epoch, it's really shallow and limited in comparison. I take it back about the echorec not being as useful as the epoch. I've always wanted an echorec, this definitely fits that niche here. There's a lot to work with between these to pedals. Btw, I have no affiliation with Catalinbread, I'm just excited about these finds.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 am

i couldn't take the suspense, I know the wife will be pissed but I just now, right now, pulled the trigger on the echorec on eBay with two free cables

jammed last night for four hours, mostly using the cc and the wah and couldn't help thinking about how much better it would have been with an echorec

man I was hot, i did this one little blues jam in G minor that was just spectacular. I'm really handy with that wah. of course today I can barely walk - gotta start using my music stool, getting too old to stand for so long

maybe I'll sell my 1932 model 94 winchester. it's damn near mint - last I checked it was worth about 7g's

that'll make her happy :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Unit_1 wrote:i couldn't take the suspense, I know the wife will be pissed but I just now, right now, pulled the trigger on the echorec on eBay with two free cables

jammed last night for four hours, mostly using the cc and the wah and couldn't help thinking about how much better it would have been with an echorec

man I was hot, i did this one little blues jam in G minor that was just spectacular. I'm really handy with that wah. of course today I can barely walk - gotta start using my music stool, getting too old to stand for so long

maybe I'll sell my 1932 model 94 winchester. it's damn near mint - last I checked it was worth about 7g's

that'll make her happy :mrgreen:

Dang a 32/94 win? Interested to see your take on this pedal.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Jamie wrote:
Dang a 32/94 win? Interested to see your take on this pedal.

yup, tiny little gun with a BIG ass bullet! :highfive:

man i can't wait for this freakin thing to arrive. it's been so long ago that my multi play head reel to reel failed.

whoa, i just realized. the clock on the wall....

the time...?

BEER:30 !!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm pretty well set for things that go bang..

Just finished messing with the epoch and echorec.. The Rain Song sounds amazing through the echorec set with a warm repeat in the background. It doesn't mind being pushed hard either with a tube driver. Keep your CC til you can land an epoch to try.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Unit_1 wrote: it's been so long ago that my multi play head reel to reel failed.

What did you do with that? Frippertronics?
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:53 am

Jamie wrote:
Unit_1 wrote: it's been so long ago that my multi play head reel to reel failed.

What did you do with that? Frippertronics?

sold that and the harmon kardon receiver and stereo amp (all three tube based) to a TV repair guy

the HK stuff was still working, the reel to reel went up in smoke

i think i got maybe 100 for all of them.

sigh.... :dumass:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:28 pm

U1, have you had a chance to use the echorec? Thoughts?
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:45 pm

well they shipped it via ups, and they've been doing a crazy thing lately where they actually ship it to usps and then they deliver, requiring an extra day of transit

so i'll be getting it today instead of yesterday :POd:

argh.... drats..... foiled again.....

but you know what I'M going to be doing around the firepit tonight!

:jam: :highfive:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

UPS has been doing that here occasionally. Let us know how it goes. :jam:
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 am

well i stuck it into the last remaining position on my pedal board, but due to dental problems have been too queasy to feel like doing *anything* other than watch reruns of SG-1 and DS9

just got back from having teeth 3,4,5 and 6 extracted

{{{ouch}}}

actually not too bad what with the trama-dols i have for pain and they say drinking is encouraged (hic) so (hic) i (hic)

uh,,,, what waz i shaying?

also the heat and humidity have been intense as hell for the past week or so, and just making it really hard to play ( since my fav jam time is around 5pm to 9pm ). it's been kinda like breathing hot liquid air, just nasty as hell with the monsoons coming up from mexico

and uh, ummmm yeah hey my glass is empty~~~~~

time to fix that 8)

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:34 am

this is what my wife slurred about the echorec :

that pedal is like your guitar having sex with your amp

:mrgreen:

gonna upload some clips to soundcloud if they came out half way decent, but for now it's back to playing

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Well it sounds like you like it a whole lot.. :shock: :lol:

It is an interesting pedal with a lot of setting options. The belle epoch is going to be on the board for a very long time. Still really happy with these guys here.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 pm

we were enjoying some suds along with the newly assembled 5e3 combo amp and new pedal and it was such a golden remark on her part that I felt obligated to preserve it for posterity

the 5e3 is one i put together with all nos mustard caps and i have it in a pine cab with a jbl g125-b, a very rare jbl made for guitar without the spikey aluminum center cap so many of them have

sounds very 'live', almost like a 5e3 that's been miked and going over jbl sound reinforcement

don't think i've ever heard anything quite like it before

i am so in love with this pedal. it's like the missing link in SO MANY songs

thank you for sharing jamie :not_worthy:

pics of amp and sound clip coming as soon as i feel better. too many suds apparently....

i screwed up on the sound clip - at around nine minutes you can hear a definite improvement in clarity when i realized i was standing in between the speaker and the mic like a numbskull, lol....

can't wait till i can afford the other one - gonna need a bigger pedal board and another powerbrick

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:57 am

U1, I don't often get too excited about gear, so much is nominally about the same. After reading tons of reviews and viewing some of the samples I decided to give these a whirl to fit a niche for the binson and to replace my ep-3 for convenience... if it was that close. I'm happy with these guys, no regrets, close enough for me.

Still though, would really like to see some verification if EJ is using the belle epoch for live gigs. I'm not up to speed with catalinbread's company, but someone there seems to have an ear and a passion to get it right imho.

Glad you are happy with the Echorec U1. Still messing with settings, I keep coming back to #4, tone anywhere from 10 - 2 o'clock, mix around 10 o'clock, around to same with swell. When I get more time with it I'll have more useful setting choices for the Echorec.
Jamie
Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain