Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Postby Jamie on Sun May 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Anyone have experience with these pedals? The epoch sounds the closest to an ep-3 from a pedal emulation I've heard. Like I need one more pedal...

http://www.catalinbread.com/belle-features

Binson Echorec owners, how close does this pedal emulate?

http://www.catalinbread.com/echorec-features

Jamie
Baron

Re: Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Postby Jamie on Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 am

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:32 am

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 pm

It looks that Eric Johnson may be using the Epoch.. The thread below maybe tin hat but it eludes to the retirement of the ep-3s. That would be interesting if true..

http://tinyurl.com/mnhtjy3

Look very closely at the top left side when his pedalboard is visible.

I have no idea what this was about... :shock:

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 pm

The Epoch arrived today. On the board now running at 9v, plenty of headroom at 9. I have an EP-3 and a prototype TubePlex on hand. I'd say this pedal gets close to the EP-3 it's about 85 - 90% from the short time I've tested. The buffer is nice, it fattens the dry signal a little in a nice way but seems there may be a little compression. I'll need to do more testing for that. I switched off the true bypass to buffer so it now trails when switched off. The settings are very interactive, it took a little time to get it tweaked in, still experimenting. Tap tempo isn't important, my EP-3 never missed it. You can get a clean subtle repeat or get some grit as they say by upping the record level. I don't see any need to mess with the internal pots, stock setting works for me. This is a keeper, the Carbon Copy is off my board. I still retain the Akai Headrush E2 for digital delay if needed and Ditto X2 for looping on the board. This pedal just feels right, about like the echoplex. This company has my attention now. Looking at the echorec next maybe at some point.

Update...

I put 18v to the epoch. It does make a difference, a good difference. I didn't notice any additional compression. Could be me but it seems to sound closer to the ep-3. If you pick one of these up, give it 18v. The record level is really key with this pedal. I don't see this pedal leaving the board any time soon.

Update 2..

It seems my 18v power supply is noisy, went back to 9v. I've read some threads concerning hf grit or fizz in the repeats as they trail. I'm not getting that. The repeats can be clean without distortion or grit as they say. I run the record level at about 10 or 11 o'clock. Slam it with a tube driver or ocd without any trailing distortion. I haven't and won't make any adjustments to the internal trimmers stock settings work fine for me. 9v is no issue, lack of head room etc., sounds great.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 pm

The Catalinbread Echorec arrived today, on the board now. It arrives with the buffer / non true bypass engaged. Saw a thread where the mix setting is active when the pedal is not engaged. They must have fixed that, unity level is through when not engaged in buffer and true bypass mode obviously. The modulation was way too high for my taste, almost like the simulated drum was completely worn. I tweaked the modulation trim pot, clockwise reduces modulation. I turned it about an eighth or a bit more. A slight modulation is ok, very slight for my tastes. The modulation seems random like the epoch but doesn't have an external pot to manage, that would have been nice. Pretty trippy pedal. When the levels are adjusted for clean, it will clip if you push it hard with an overdrive. Seems to be the same with the epoch. There's no limiting in play. Really great sounding pedals, very musical, not sterile at all. The Belle Epoch will most likely get used more than the Echorec. The EP-3 is going to be used much much less. Echorec definitely has it's place with a lot of setting options filling that niche. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Found this demo, the modulation is about the same where mine is now.

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 pm

This is a good comparison of the Catalinbread Echorec and Binson Echorec.. from HiwattBob

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:50 pm

well i see that hiwattbob buys his slippers at target like I do

only thing i wear around the house

dammit jamie, now I have to spend more money i don't have

why'd you go and do that???? :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:40 am

I just looked up the prices :shock: :shock: :shock:

so, mr. jamie, if you only could have one which do you think it would be?
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:16 am

Unit_1 wrote:I just looked up the prices :shock: :shock: :shock:

so, mr. jamie, if you only could have one which do you think it would be?

Prices are way up there for sure. I guess they spent quite a bit of time developing these pedals. The belle epoch would be my first choice. I would think an ep-3 would be more useful than an echorec. That's what is tough, they are both different animals. I have them after the dirt and modulation pedals. The buffers are suppose to be unity gain. Seems like my overdrive tones are a little different, a bit more low end. Clean is unchanged to my ears. Could be me though..

The Echorec 12 step settings does not have detents but making selections are easy enough. The warm ambient rhythmic repeats are so cool. Both pedals have a niche use, the only similarity I can see is the modulation may be using the same circuit. It's random pitching sharp and flat different time and range. Pretty unique in that aspect. Not sure if the buffers are the same. The Epoch is suppose to have the same ep-3 preamp with a lower impedance in the output buffer... or something like that.

Oh, isn't hiwattbob on this board or use to be?
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 am

i wonder if I could get $430 bucks for my black, made in italy, vox tonebender....

hmmm....... that's way less than they go for on the bay

http://www.reverb.com, here I come!!!!! :highfive:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 am

Unit_1 wrote:i wonder if I could get $430 bucks for my black, made in italy, vox tonebender....

:shock: :shock: :shock: ya sure?

MF or SamAsh may them for a 30 or 45 day test run. GC doesn't have them here in NE Ohio. I hate that place anyhow, wankers. I used amazon.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:49 am

Unit_1 wrote:i wonder if I could get $430 bucks for my black, made in italy, vox tonebender....

MF or SamAsh may them for a 30 or 45 day test run. GC doesn't have them here in NE Ohio. I hate that place anyhow, wankers. I used amazon.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:40 am

Jamie wrote:

no, i mean *sell* my tonebender at a low price to quickly make the money to but these pedals. man i so miss the old tape multi head days.... want it NOW! (lol)

love my mxr analog carbon copy, but this is a whole different ballpark

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 pm

I had an incident with the epoch going into a LF self oscillating feedback when bypassed in buffer mode. This with a tube driver in front with the LF up for an EJ lead tone. I saw a thread where they recommend putting the epoch in front of overdrives and after fuzz. I've always used delays at the end of the chain, seems odd. I'm thinking about setting the epoch in true bypass to test. My ep-3 doesn't trail when I kick it out, I'm ok with that. Carbon Copy doesn't trail either, I can live without that feature. No issues with clean but the epoch preamp does change your tone with overdrives in front. The 3rd video above I'm not seeing how he's getting the grit from just the epoch. Maybe he messed with the internal gain trim pot. I'm digging these pedals, I'm sure I'll sort out issues with settings in the chain.

I have a carbon copy also and really like it, these are quite different.

Echorec manual, has some interesting insight to this pedal.

http://www.catalinbread.com/ECHORECmanual.pdf
Jamie
Baron

Next

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain