The KOSS!!!!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

The KOSS!!!!

Postby Joshabr1 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Was watching the video of Free from Greneda. They were freaking kickin on all cylinders that day. Paul's break on ride a pony is damn sublime. Just unbeatable to me. Pafs cord marshall and a genius controlling it. The pinnacle. It is criminal how underrated that band is in America for sure. Nobody here knows. There are a few of us geeks. But that's it. Maybe some knows all right now. But free is mr big the hunter fire and water ride a pony to me. Sad story really of a band that was right on the cusp of it. This section is for inspired tones. Well paul kossoff inspires me daily. The tone touch timing control was just all there. No flash just tone and feel for miles. Not even to mention the best vibrato in history. Long live Koss.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Re: The KOSS!!!!

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 am

this? not familiar with this but sounds great :mrgreen:

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Joshabr1 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Kind of suprized at the lack of attention a lot of threads on here recieve. Nobody have anything to say?
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby pdf64 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Wow, thanks for highlighting this, its absolutely fantastic.
What a band, fantastic performances and chemistry.
I wonder how much those curly leads (which tended to have a high capacitance) helped to get that muted tone?
I was surprised to see how much he stayed on the bridge PU.
I've not looked into the specifics of the amp and cabs that Kossoff used - what's the consensus?
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby Joshabr1 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Koss liked superbass amps old superleads and g12m speakers. I have heard bass cones he preferred. He stayed on the bridge pickup mostly but was a real master at using his vol and tone controls to change his tone. He was a feeling tone timing taste master. Never stepped on the band or the song. Only played what fit. Perfect example of its not what you know but how well u can exicute what u know.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby pdf64 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 am

By basing himself so close to the speakers of an overdriven 100W stack, he must have subjected his ears to horrendous SPL!
It seems strange to me that he preferred to get himself so loud in the mix (by standing there), as his playing is so responsive to the other guys; in that scenario, I would need to put rather more distance between myself and the stack, in order to hear more of them?

Assuming that the 1st schematic is representative of the early Super Leads, there may not have been much difference between those early models (ie SL cf SB) http://schems.com/manu/marshall/jmp_sup ... w_1959.pdf
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby Joshabr1 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:55 pm

I have thought about that for a while. So the other day I set up my early 70s superbass stack and did what he did. It was very hard to hear the band. He was short to. My ears are a little above te cab his were right in front of it. Maybe the top cab was off. Seems he always had 3 or 4 stacked around his amp. If it was on he had some kick ass tinnitus. I am used to it very loud but leaning back on it was to much fr me
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Joshabr1 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm

I also don't think he turned the amps full up in those days. I would say around 4-6. I get closer to his sound there than I do up any higher. I also believe he played a lot of Rythym parts between 3-6 and leads 7-8 instead of all the way up on the guitar
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Joshabr1 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 pm

One other trick to his sound is big strings. He used a 12-13 bottom for sure. I think 11s are plenty though. But those thick strings have an effect for sure. He also used thick picks.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby power lover on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 am

Paul and his tortured life is one I can relate to. As much as I enjoy his vibrato, if it was a bit slower it bring me to tear even more often. but that's nit picking. His tone to my ears is the large drake mid volume and I do think the concensus on the curly cord is that it does cut down the high end significantly. It's the 2" drake OT and original greenbacks (not ccurrent 'reproductions) and a good paf that will get you his tone. The specifics of the amp are not as important but sounds like a superbass or early lead whih are similar as already noted above. RIP. There's few human being who both have the capacity for emotion and can express it musically these days. If it weren't for recordings, playing like his would be a mythical legend like the dinasour.
power lover
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 pm

I'd heard he used Superleads with Bass Cabs ?

You can keep all your speed freak guitar heroes....... Koss had it, and I never tire of his playing :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Joshabr1 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 pm

He used several amps. I hear mostly shared cathode. But free live definatly sounds like dagnell transformers to me. The bass speaker thing I don't know. I have never seen a picture of him with a bass logo cab in the Free days. He used M speakers for sure. Early on I would say 003 cones as much as anything along with g12 m 14 cones to maybe. One of his main amps was sorda a bass/ lead mix. Bass preamp lead tone stack bright cap. I have an old amp set up the same way and it really gets close thru 2 basketweaves with 102/3 cones. I really like shared cathode for his tone.
Joshabr1
Court Jester

Postby Seby on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 pm

I can't stop watching this. =) He reminds me of MK insofar as he played for the song, rather than wrote songs for his playing. The sheer musicality of some peoples' playing is a huge inspiration.
Seby
Certified

Postby superstar on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Joshabr1 wrote:The bass speaker thing I don't know. I have never seen a picture of him with a bass logo cab in the Free days. He used M speakers for sure. Early on I would say 003 cones as much as anything along with g12 m 14 cones to maybe. One of his main amps was sorda a bass/ lead mix. Bass preamp lead tone stack bright cap. I have an old amp set up the same way and it really gets close thru 2 basketweaves with 102/3 cones. I really like shared cathode for his tone.

Yeah I looked into this quite a bit. There is a rumour that he used bass cone speakers, but good luck finding any footage or photos of him using them. I think it is just that - a rumour.

I think where this rumour stems from is a guitar magazine interview circa 1975 or 1976, where he states he uses a bass cab custom made for him by Marshall. But the cab in question is a fawn tolex cab from the mid 70's, defintely not a pre-rola loaded basketweave. Tall looking cab, possibly an 8x12, I cant remember off the top of my head.
superstar
Knight

Postby Ned B on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:04 am

I see that there is a back line behind Free's. Maybe a double bill possibly? Note in that panoramic shot from behind there is a small box on a bottom with the words "Juicy Lucy" stenciled on the back.

The head on Koss' side looks to be a black flag with a polarity switch added. To my ear the speakers sound like 1511s.
Ned B
Baron

Next

Return to Signature Tones