upgrading the MIJ 12 string strat

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

upgrading the MIJ 12 string strat

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 am

here she is. i liked this when i bought it, but the longer i looked at it the more i didn't like the color of the pickguard. it's kind of just not quite right...

yoink!

gut shot

Ouuu, Astron PIO - sexy....

Going from .047 to .033

what was in there before? a radial metalized cap, how embarrassing... this must of cost all of about 20 cents....

using the third hand to remove leads to the REALLY cheap MIJ jack

everything moved to the new pick guard, new cap soldered in place. hmmm still have to clip the extra lead....

switchcraft long barrel no switch installed, old jack in the trash with the old cap

avast ye swabs, she be under FULL SAIL! (Spike obviously likes it :mrgreen: )

Just so you can do a quick back and forth between is and was

anyone want the used mint green mij pick guard with vintage screw hole positions? i'll make you a heck of a deal. I had to drill a hole in me olde guitar for the new pick guard. took a big breath, counted to ten, and did it. lol...

this was really my first foray into guitar mod 101. took my time and thought a lot before each step, taking pics and such so I had a bread crumb trail to follow. after changing everything including strings it took me about 7 hours with several breaks for snacks and such. oh, and I had tools, projects and crap everywhere and had to organize before starting. everything nice and neat now.... TG!

that was fun...
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: upgrading the MIJ 12 string strat

Postby 57lpjr on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 pm

I heavily modded mine with a Jazzmaster p'up in the Bridge, the Original style XII "Pill" p'ups in the middle and kept a Strat in the neck. All three are Curtis Novak's with matched output. Each pickup has it's own Volume control. Way more versatile than before!!!
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Re: upgrading the MIJ 12 string strat

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 pm

57lpjr wrote:I heavily modded mine with a Jazzmaster p'up in the Bridge, the Original style XII "Pill" p'ups in the middle and kept a Strat in the neck. All three are Curtis Novak's with matched output. Each pickup has it's own Volume control. Way more versatile than before!!!

ah! very interesting. ONE of these days I'll try that with maybe a rotary switch with different caps on it so I can dial a sound

the cap switch has changed my guitar from dark sounding to crispy and tubular

amazing difference
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips