left hand pots

Lets hear it from the pros, all things guitar by the hands of the trade. Great tips and if you like to build your own guitars, this is a place to find trade tips.

left hand pots

Postby welshman on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 pm

hi does anyone know where there are left handed pots available in 250k and 500k ?
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Re: left hand pots

Postby Vortexion on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 pm

By "left-handed pot" I guess you mean one with an anti-log taper, yes? Very difficult to source. German company MEC will make pretty much any type of pot to order, but you have to pay them by direct bank transfer, which can get expensive (British bank charges! :x ). Also, dealing with them by email can be a bit hilarious unless you speak German...

Hang on a minute... Guitar manufacturers must fit their lefty instruments with anti-log pots, mustn't they? Worth trying suppliers of Fender/Gibson spares, perhaps?
Vortexion
Newt

Postby gemmill on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Vortexion wrote:Guitar manufacturers must fit their lefty instruments with anti-log pots, mustn't they?

Fender yes, gibson (in my experience) no.
It's called 'reverse audio' pot. You can get them most anywhere that sells pots, but for sure at Stewmac and Allparts.
gemmill
Knight

Postby POPS on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:34 am

Can't you rewire the pot? Unsolder and break the ground (bend the tab back) then bend and solder the hot tab to the casing and reverse the hot wire. I haven't tried it, but I had a wah returned to me wired up backwards and reversing the outside wires fixed it. Don't overheat the casing. Make sense?
POPS
Court Jester

Postby housekustoms on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:49 pm

This post is pretty old but nonetheless these are all reverse audio taper pots...aka "C" where A is audio, B is linear, C is "lefty" or "reverse audio".

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Component ... lm&FS=True
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Return to The Guitar Builder Corner