strat sounds

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

strat sounds

Postby hank b marlin on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:59 am

what are players preference in pickup position on their strats
for me its the neck thru a wide open marshall or vox
the sound of heaven on earth (probably not so heavenly for the neighbours!)
love to see your comments
cheers!
hank b marlin
Peasant

Re: strat sounds

Postby Camembert Electrique on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm

I think I'm in a sort of minority, as I actually play in the bridge position about 80 percent of the time, with occational visits to the neck pos. for variation. I do not, however, like the in-between positions at all, and the mid- pickup on it's own... well, same deal, really. The rest of the rig is a Mesa Boogie V-Twin (and sometimes a Boss delay) and a Fender Twin Reverb reissue amp (using the "normal" channel). It used to be a NMV Marshall 50 watter from the mid seventies, but that's mostly retired now.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby sitka_spruce on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:11 am

I too spend a lot of time in the bridge position. I went with hot and noiselss diMarzio SCs in this position for my Strats to smoothen the bridge tone a bit. My maple neck has the Virtual Solo and my RW board the Injector and I consider one w. the Heavy Blues 2 in bridge

Then I discovered pure nickel strings and these really help with taming the bitier frequencies. This could be why EJ gets away with using a fairly low output pickup in bridge. Then softe alnicos, like the II and III varieties, compress in a very forgiving fashion so you'd still have the high resonance of a single but with the lows more of of a P90 or early PAF, really. Values for pots and caps is rather crucial here too as they can make or break your tone.
sitka_spruce
Certified

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 pm

I use all the positions for different things. A couple of things that help is using GHS Nickel Rockers--as stated above, nickel strings tame the harsh high end--as well as wiring the middle tone control to the bridge to mellow out the top end if needed.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:41 pm

I think what really matters is the type of music you play. I use all positions, but depending on what type of song I'm playing.

and then you can go a step further by modifying the tone switch/caps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_St ... ure_models

The "quacky" tone of the middle and bridge pickups, popularized by players such as David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Mark Knopfler, Bob Dylan, Scott Thurston, Ronnie Wood, Ed King, Eric Clapton and Robert Cray, can be obtained by using the pickup selector in positions 2 and 4. The neck and middle pickups are each wired to a tone control that incorporates a single, shared tone capacitor, whereas the bridge pickup, which is slanted towards the high strings for a more trebly sound, has no tone control for maximum brightness. On many modern Stratocasters, the first tone affects the neck pickup; the second tone affects the middle and bridge pickups; on some Artist Series models (Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy signature guitars), the first tone is a presence circuit that cuts or boosts treble and bass frequencies, affecting all the pickups; the second tone is an active midrange booster that boosts the midrange frequencies up to 25dB (12dB on certain models) to produce a fatter humbucker-like sound.

I find myself using 24.5" guitars as I get older as I am loosing power in my fingers and the strats are getting harder and harder to play :old:

Just glad the arthritis is in the middle knuckle of the right hand, which I don't use for guitar even finger picking. TG! dodged the bullet on that one.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Signature Tones