JTM-45 a fresh one

This forum is for those who like to watch eBay auctions and those who want to alert the users of a specific auction.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum as a spam to promote your own auction unless you have over 100 posts. We ask that comments about auctions be kept civil as well as respectful. If your a business and would like to use our forum to promote your ebay auctions, please contact us directly before promoting auctions on this forum.

JTM-45 a fresh one

Postby rainbow on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:20 pm

rainbow
Court Jester

Re: JTM-45 a fresh one

Postby LD50 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm

The heading of 'A Fresh One' is quite a subtle one :wink: :)

The head cab and chassis look correct for a 1965 amp (block logo, wide front chrome strip, white rear panel and single cut out for output selector 8, 16 and 100v line out so probably a PA originally).
There are oddities too.
The board is that of a '67 on amp (light brown perforated board, large disc Murata 250pF, 470k mixer resistors, added Lemco mixer cap, and is that a 100k on the bias diode feed? :shock: ). The plastic Torotor switches are 67 on type as well (mentioned in text - but they are much more difficult to get hold of than a metal toggle type.). The indicator is a later type than 65 too (but again an original type) as an original would typically have had a round RS lamp. My '65 is probably late on in 65 as it has script logo, thick strip but still RS lamp.

If it were a '65 then I would expect selector on the OT Drake or an RS type OT and a few other features. On my work pc I cannot get all the picture functions on ebay to work so cannot say more but I think the PT is a -118 again '67, must be failing if it only has 100k bias feed!!.

So in summary it is almost certainly a mongrel/hybrid/lashup of a '67 amp with '65 cosmetics (maybe original 65 box and chassis?) but I would not touch it with a bargepole at that price (mind you even if original I would not pay that). It would be worth a few hundred pounds or so as a parts donor :wink:
Last edited by LD50 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Ned B on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 pm

It sure does have all the hallmarks. I suspect the chassis is a modernfabrication. The box looks good though.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Warning sign #1 Seller using all that syrupy description.

Checked over by the best of the best in LA ! Yeah...... name them as most sellers do.

Those mustards always have a couple showing the date codes. This amp has one something showing but is not the clear style found back then. The 0.1 caps always have one showing B4N for example or likewise clearly readable.

A '65 with Red / White lead wires to pins 3 of the power tube sockets, that's an EL-34 O/T. And not a KT-66 O/T with Red / Black wires as it should be for that era or an R/S O/T........ No EL-34 O/T were used in '65 ! ....... Late '66 onward.

Murata & Lemco - wrong.

No voltage selector ? Should be on the MAINS Trannie...... fixed voltage ? on a UK amp with Bulgin power plug socket..... Nooooo

No Brown Hunts cap by the Fuse holder / mains power input socket.

Price ...... he's dreaming for that VERY questionable amp.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:50 pm

I accept wire transfer, cashiers check, or cash for payments. I won't accept Paypal. Not for something this valuable.
:evil:

red flag alert!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby rainbow on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Ned B wrote
It sure does have all the hallmarks. I suspect the chassis is a modernfabrication. The box looks good though
~ That chassis caught my attention from the first moment :thumbsup:

LD50 wrote
The board is that of a '67 on amp (light brown perforated board, large disc Murata 250pF, 470k mixer resistors, added Lemco mixer cap, and is that a 100k on the bias diode feed? :shock: ). The plastic Torotor switches are 67 on type as well (mentioned in text - but they are much more difficult to get hold of than a metal toggle type.). The indicator is a later type than 65 too (but again an original type) as an original would typically have had a round RS lamp. My '65 is probably late on in 65 as it has script logo, thick strip but still RS lamp.

If it were a '65 then I would expect selector on the OT Drake or an RS type OT and a few other features. On my work pc I cannot get all the picture functions on ebay to work so cannot say more but I think the PT is a -118 again '67, must be failing if it only has 100k bias feed!!...Again well done LD 50!
~I`m far from being an expert,but i`ve noticed all of that :wink: so it`s a hybrid a JTM 45 in an attempt, but at what cost :roll:
One question Gold block logo JTM 45 with full Iskra set ..plausible?
rainbow
Court Jester

Return to eBay Watch