Demos: Warts and All!

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Demos: Warts and All!

Postby peter horvath on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Gents-

We occasionally discuss the members of this here community posting recordings of their stuff. Well, I've finally gotten around to posting some new / recent demos on SoundCloud, so I thought I'd alert you all to that fact...

https://soundcloud.com/mister-horvath

Most of these are just me and my drummer, but a few also sport our other guitar player doing his thing. We tend to record and mix one song per night when we get together. Are they perfect? No. Do you get the idea? Yes. The process is also helping us with our recording methods.

All were recorded in our rehearsal space on our handy dandy Tascam DA-88 set up. More info if you want it. Just ask.

I hope this spurs more folks to record stuff.
peter horvath
Baron

Re: Demos: Warts and All!

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm

It will be very cool to see how these evolve, my personal faves from the lot are Into the Clouds, How Much How Long, and Amazing.

:cheers: :thumbsup: :jam: 8)
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby MajorWatt on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 am

Some cool power pop in the rough....Keep polishing...

:cheers:
Check out our songs at.......
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnation.com/blacksundaydream
http://www.soundclick.com/blacksundaydream

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything."
MajorWatt
Airport Gropee

Location: S.F. Bay Area. Where the sun always shines! Except on cloudy or rainy days...

Postby firebirdjake on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Very enjoyable tunes- eagerly anticipate hearing what you do to them Peter- interesting music happening!
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm

I'll need some time to go through all of these, but having heard your other stuff it's eager anticipation. 8) I'll report back when I've had a chance to listen to them.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby peter horvath on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks, gents. I appreciate any and all feedback.

The funny thing is, unless I get some brilliant idea for a new arrangement, the demo version is pretty close to the finished version. the finished version just sounds better and is played with more precision(or less, if needed)...

I am really enjoying the process of recording a bunch. I ALWAYS enjoy it, but we're really fine tuning our recording process through trial and error. Fun stuff.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 pm

I finally had a chance to check these out. Very cool. As my wife said when walking in the room "Who is that? It sounds great!" Having lived with this extremely picky person for 17 years, I can say that she does not hand out complements easily. She also commented on how you embrace the past, but don't copy it and make it sound fresh and vibrant. Maybe, I should have let her write this. :wink:

My favorites were WRONG WAY OUT, HOW MUCH HOW LONG, & AMAZING (cool solo on that one) although they all sound great. Favorite lyrics were LIKE YOU.

Your demos are very concise and well laid out. I'm usually really bare bones and the song grows as we jam it.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby peter horvath on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks to you and your wife!

I like to have the demo kind of fleshed out before the band hears it. That leaves less to chance, but still leaves them room to do their stuff.

The solo on Amazing, is actually played by Dave our other guitar player. Usually the leads are me trying to sound "Dave-ish"...

Funny you like the lyrics to Like You; they were written while I was on a walk. They just came out, in final form, with zero effort on my part. I came back home, and thought that they sounded like something The Jesus and Mary Chain would do, so I kinda made that prominent in the demo.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am

Finally getting around to listening to these. Need a bit more time to make constructive comments.

Amazing and Into the Clouds stick out in my mind off the bat. First tune, forgot name, made me think of the Jam/Paul Weller circa '77 or so. The thrashing rick sound.

I am a sucker for good power pop. :D

Like your 'natural' voice best, sans brit accent.

These tunes are pretty good....will listen more and try to be helpful. Do you guys have a Brian Epstein type hanging around anywhere to polish you up and 'present my artists.....'
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby peter horvath on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Whew! I thought you just weren't saying anything because you thought all the tunes were terrible... :twisted:

My "accent" is fading over time, but some songs(Northern Line, for example) are from the full blown accent time period, so that is how I hear them, for better or for worse...

Wrong Way Out(song #1) definitely has that Weller / Graham Coxon thing happening. One of these days I will borrow a Rick 330 to remind myself what it feels like to play one. I haven't had a 330 since 2000 or '01.

There's no Epstein hanging about, no. That would be nice, though.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Just letting you know I added 3 more tracks to the SoundCloud page.

Enjoy.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Just letting you know I added 2 more songs to the Soundcloud Page...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:06 pm

2 more new demos...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:04 pm

For those keeping track, I have added a few more tunes to the SoundCloud page, including a cover of Peter Gabriel's "And Through The Wire", which is on his 3rd solo record(Melt) from 1980. The original recording features a certain Paul Weller on guitar, which made it a good one for me(and Mayhawk too, I'd reckon).
peter horvath
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Some new stuff up on the SoundCloud page. Check it out...

https://www.soundcloud.com/mister-horvath
peter horvath
Baron

Next

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques