NGD!! 1973 Gibson ES-325

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

NGD!! 1973 Gibson ES-325

Postby spankin_low_watt on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 am

So I was driving along 3:30 in the afternoon, and I happen to drive by a house with a moving truck in the driveway, along with six old guitar cases and a silver face Vibrolux. Well, I stopped the truck and spoke with the movers. The guitars' owner was inside the house. He came out, we talked -- he was moving to Las Vegas the next day (we're in Jersey). Yep - he sold me one of his guitars -- he needed the dough. Picked up this KILLER es-325. Sounds AWESOME. He bought it in 1973/4. I'm the second owner. He said he used it in a punk band in the 1970s called the Wasters. Yeah it's dinged and scraped but I'm lovin' it. Sold my PRS CE-22 to pay for it. I'm flippin.' Sounds great through my '66 Princeton Reverb.

This guitar will never be for sale (barring outrageous circumstances).

Woohoo! :D :D :D
Last edited by spankin_low_watt on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spankin_low_watt
Peasant

Re: NGD!! 1973 Gibson ES-325

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 am

:cheers:

there should be a jealous icon..... :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby DetroitBlues on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

wow, looks mint from the pic! The headstock is still glossy!

Is the 325 sort of like the 330 (thin hollow body), but has the Firebird like pickups instead of P90's?
DetroitBlues
Peasant

Postby spankin_low_watt on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 pm

It has its share of wear. There's a small spot worn in the finish to the bare wood on the upper horn. I'm thinking its from the way the orig owner set his strap. It turns out that the guitar is a "2nd". But whatever cosmetic flaw it had to earn the 2 is no longer discernible, and I doubt it was the worn spot on the horn. And good call on the pickups -- they're the same mini-hums used on the Firebirds and LP Deluxes at the time. It's a cool sounding guitar.
spankin_low_watt
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:44 pm

spankin_low_watt wrote: -- they're the same mini-hums used on the Firebirds and LP Deluxes at the time.

Minor point, but LP Deluxe pickups have adjustable pole pieces. Firebirds do not. There may be more differences than that, under the hood.

Cool guitar, indeed! One like it recently popped up on STL CL.

As to the Factory Second thing - I worked at a Gibson dealership in the 80's. At that time, it was primarily minor finish flaws (crack, drip, etc.) that accounted for the headstock getting stamped with a "2". I never saw one that had playability issues. If there were, they were addressed before shipping from the factory.

That said, dealers did get a pretty hefty discount on the Seconds. As you mentioned, it's probably difficult to actually find the "flaw" 30 or more years later. Most were hard to find back in the day. Accordingly, guitars with those designations don't seem to suffer in value.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby pckpat on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 am

"Right place at the right time" (sorry, Dr. John) :P
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Vintage Guitars