69 strat dating? Pics Added

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

69 strat dating? Pics Added

Postby dee-luxe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I have a 69 strat tied up right now and it has a replacement guard and pots. The disc cap is correct and intact and I believe that the pickups are original, they just do not have a 4 digit date stamp on them as these do in this image (not my guitar).
http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/ ... gmh_so.jpg

The grey bobbins look identical and the wire is plastic just like these (versue cloth) and they have the number 6 (or 9) written on each by hand in pencil. The neck pickup has a faint shadow of what could have been the date stamp that has faded to the point that you cannot read anymore. If the guard and pots were original, I would not worry.

Also the neck heel has a green code stamp and the numbers are faded to the point that they are difficult to make out. This does not worry me in regards to originality as it has been refretted and might have been off of the guitar for a while, I am just wondering if this is possibly a parts guitar from 68-71. All 69's that I have seen have had black ink stamps instead of the 70's style green coded stamp but they may have switched over at some point in 1969.

The serial on the F plate is 263XXX which would make it a 69 from what I have found. I just have a short inspection period and have suspicion on these two things.

Update: the numbers that I can make out on the green stamp are 22 ?37 032 B which would indicate march of 72 which should be a 3 bolt neck right? there

I will pop it apart and take pics tonight to further help. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lost in time
dee-luxe
Page

Re: 69 strat dating? Pics Added

Postby 11068 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:07 pm

hi, just stumbled upon your post, sorry for the late reply.

it's a 1970 strat.
looking back at 69 makes me realize Im not getting any younger
Page

Re: 69 strat dating? Pics Added

Postby Alnico on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 am

Looks like the fingerboard has been planed almost flat and they went though the rosewood at the end. :|
Alnico
Knight

Return to Vintage Guitars