Advice sought for home studio upgrade/refresh

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Advice sought for home studio upgrade/refresh

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Greetings and salutations, good people knowledgeable in recording techniques. I am seeking advice on equipment to freshen up my home recording setup on a shoestring budget, and ask for your shared knowledge.
My equipment is firmly rooted in the past, as am I :lol:, to wit:
Teac 3340S w/remote 4track RtR
Teac X-2 2track RtR
2 Tascam M30 mixers
A couple Shure 57, 58s, a couple old PE 545SDs
AKG Perception 200
MXL R144
ART FX-1 & Tube MP Studio (mainly for phantom power)
the old "sonic sketchpad", Tascam 424 mk2
A mix of old analog with a few newer cheapos from GC. I wish to be able to record analog and transfer to some more modern digital system as to be able to share my music with the rest of the world. The reason I included the cassette 4trk. in there is there are several recordings extant in that format that include friends no longer with us that I'd VERY much like to share also.

I
I thank you very much for your perusal and and advice it is kind of a new years
Last edited by firebirdjake on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Re: Advice sought for home studio upgrade/refresh

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Sorry about the 2 part post- resolution to get some of this out there.
I wish advice on additional hard/software to make this a reality.
A friend is offering to build up a computer for dedicated recording use- I've as yet no clue what operating system, etc.. I have recorded digitally in two friends' home studios and so far remain an analog luddite wishing to reproduce the recordings on digital media for sharing purposes.
However, I am willing to learn about digital editing etc.
Once again- much thanks :cheers: Jake
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Postby peter horvath on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 pm

As a dude who still recorded demos on his Tascam 424 MK1 until early 2012, I watch this thread with interest.

More recently, we've been demoing new songs, and getting our recording techniques together using 2 Tascam DA-88 8 track machines. We're state of the art for 1998! :twisted:

Of course, this is only until we FINALLY wire up and fire up the Otari MTR-90 2" 24 track machine. I've been neglecting that for a while now. I'm a bad analog guy...

In other news, I've been using the Perception 200 for vocals. It suits my voice, at least until I get a Lawson or a Peluso or similar...

I certainly wish I could be of assistance re: computer interfacing, but that just isn't my scene...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Hello Peter, I'd cheerfully stay analog, but for anybody else to hear the results, it will have to enter the digital realm at some point, so I am willing to make the leap. The limitations of only 4 tracks and lack of funds for a larger analog setup also make my decision for me :lol:
I figure to record the most important items analog, using one mixer for the drum submix into the other mixer to tape- mostly live as in say, the first Government Mule release, and things
ixed in a similar fashion. I don't love digital, but at my budget it is probably the only way my music can exist outside of my living room or a live performance.
ps. I find the Perception 200 to be very friendly to my voice.

as I saw it engraved in the runoff groove area of an old Montrose album- "If it's worth playing... it's worth playing LOUD :jam:
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Postby peter horvath on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:12 am

Slightly veering off topic, but I thought you might enjoy some of our weekly photos from our weekly demo recording session, starring me and my drummer, and occasionally, the other two dudes in The Anderson Council...

Hopefully, Facebook allows me to share this...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby firebirdjake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Looks like fun from here! :thumbsup:
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Postby peter horvath on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 pm

It's QUITE fun, in fact! It's also really cool to hear our recording / mixing chops get better with every subsequent recording. Thus far, I have avoided the nagging feeling to go back and "fix" 6 month old recordings / mixes... We're really getting our process down, and as a result, we're able to record and mix a song in one approx. 5 hour session, AND have it sound pretty darn good at the end of it all.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby firebirdjake on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:13 pm

YEAH :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to "borrowing" a drummer and getting some stuff down to tape in my "being revitalized" home studio "living room" in the next few weeks. Hope to sort out the A-D transfer shortly thereafter, be it a stand alone burner, computer or Phonecian rock carvings...
:jam:
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques