david gilmour uses sound city amps

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

david gilmour uses sound city amps

Postby jcs on Sat Jul 21, 2001 10:08 pm

is this correct? i have heard it was the L-120......any idea if this is right and did he use the big muff in front with strats and teles?? jcs :roll:
jcs
King

Re: david gilmour uses sound city amps

Postby ShaneT on Sat Jul 21, 2001 11:04 pm

I think on the inside or the back of "Umma Gumma" ther is a shot of them with a whole load of Sound City gear, P.A. stuff and all.
Shane
ShaneT
Page

Postby Crunchyriff on Sun Jul 22, 2001 6:01 pm

At that time (Umma Gumma) that probably was correct.<P>Last I checked, for quite awhile now, he has been using Hiwatts, a modified Alembic Bass Preamp, and a gaggle of rack gear, along with quite a few stompboxes, too.<P>FWIW, He also has a habit of using relatively SMALL amplifiers in the studio (ie: princetons,champs, etc.) and has some pretty wild techniques in capturing his tone. <P>Smaller amps with corresponding smaller speakers (8-10")have a way of sounding real huge on tape. I think the "Division Bell" had many of his guitar tracks that were recoded thru small amps on his yacht; and then re-broadcast thru a studio playback sys, and then miced up AGAIN. There was a particular PF album where they rented I think, the Anahiem Convention Center (or a similar venue in LA) and ran his tracks thru a huge PA, and then recorded the sound coming off the mains.<P>Frank Zappa had some real insight on this. I think he stated that the optimum recording technique would be to match a speaker size with the same size diaphram in a microphone.<BR>That taking a microphone with say, a 1" diaphram and trying to capture the air/sound off a 12" speaker was not only riduculous, but wouldn't properly capture the sound of the whole speaker.<P>If you are trying to nail the "Brick IN The Wall" solo's sound, he ran his guitar right into the console for that, from what I hear.
When the Trumpet sounds, I'm outta this dump...
Crunchyriff
Baron

Postby chrism on Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:41 pm

In the picture from Umma Gumma I believe there are some Hiwatts with the SC amps. Also bunches of WEM amps. I think those are for PA but they are Transistor amps that sound good distorted too. That whole back shot is too cool.<P>chris m
On a long enough time line the survival for everyone drops to zero.
chrism
Baron

Postby Abílio on Mon Jul 23, 2001 3:16 pm

Crunchy, for the Brick solo I read somewhere that he used a small amp (Deluxe?), miced it and played the solo, then took a line out of the desk and re-routed it again into another (same?) amp, tweaked the knobs and miced that amp back again into the desk.<BR>FWIW, that solo was played on a Gold LP Gibbo with P90's and NOT on a Strat as everybody seems to believe. ;)<BR>I also read that to record the intro to Sorrow (off Lapse of Reason) he used a Steinberger guitar into his rack and amp(s) and then re-routed it into their Quad sound system and miced that again into the desk. :eek: <BR>Too bad I don't have a scanner 'cos I have a Guitarist Mag with a detailed insight into his gear during the Bell tour.
Abílio

Image "For those about to rock, I salute you." Image
Abílio
Knight

Postby Crunchyriff on Mon Jul 23, 2001 6:41 pm

That makes sense- a P90 LP. I never considered that possibility, but I never heard which guitar he used for that, either. That tone sounds too deep, huge and ballsy for a typical fender-type single coil.<BR>He knows how to get some awesome tones with "different" techniques, huh?<P>We used a technique on a few songs like you described in your post Abilio, ala Gilmour, regarding the Studio Sound sys, and then recording your tracks being played thru the sound sys. Works real cool for some applications.
Crunchyriff
Baron

Postby Abílio on Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:50 pm

Cruchy, the quad sys I refered too IS the system they use to play live through!!! :)
Abílio

Abílio
Knight

Postby Crunchyriff on Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:50 pm

hey Abilio, that would be great!! Thanks! Yeah, please send be a pic.<BR>I'm a BIG Gilmour fan.<P>And Yes, for Partner's sake :roll: , Dave is one of those guys who uses what's on his backline.
Crunchyriff
Baron

Postby Abílio on Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:29 am

Crunchy, pix on their way... how many Mbytes your mail box will allow?<BR>The zip file is 1.663 Mb :roll: <BR>As for the Quad sys I mentioned... That system IS NOT his backline... it's the FOH PA!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: <BR>He re-routed the recorded Steinberger from the desk thru the FOH PA :eek:
Abílio

Abílio
Knight

Postby Crunchyriff on Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:48 am

Abilio,<BR>I think it's 1.5 mb, but give it a try anyway. I know I can only UPLOAD 1.5mb, but hey it's worth a shot.<P>Yeah I know the quad sys is NOT his backline...(snicker!)
Crunchyriff
Baron

Postby Abílio on Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:09 am

Crunchy I got a failure notice from your email... :confused: <BR>This time, I just split it over 2 emails but I'll only send the 2nd once you download the 1st to free the space up.<BR>Check your email...
Abílio

Abílio
Knight

Postby spentmusic on Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:05 pm

Abílio,<P>Please send a copy of the pictures to me. I love DG and the tone he gets. Someone said about renting out the stadium and re-taping one of his solos for a big sound. This was on Sorrow. He played through a GK in the studio and had the tape flown to LA and Anahiem Stadum that put through a hugh (30K watt ??) PA and retaped to get that big sound. Man, must be nice to have the money and time to do this. Oh, well back to the day job. :D ;) <P>Jeff S
Jeff Swanson
DST
spentmusic
Page

Postby Abílio on Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:05 pm

Jeff, exactly! That Sorrow intro was played on a Steinberger<BR>Zip files on their way!<BR>Drop me a line at home (email on my profile) for delivery confirmation
Abílio

Abílio
Knight

Return to Sound City