sound city fan

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

sound city fan

Postby limeycity on Mon Jul 09, 2001 5:22 pm

Hello.<BR> I have just found this site , I am a big fan of Sound City Amps After seeing STATUS QUO using A wall of them in the early 1970`s<BR>I have about 30 or so heads and about 10 4 x 12" cabs I will post a list and some photos when i get some spare time One thing I find amusing is how much you guys pay for Sound City products in the States here a A1 example would not go for much more than £100<BR>I am from the south of England And used to live just a few miles from the SC factory in Shoeburyness in Essex.
martin
limeycity
Certified

Re: sound city fan

Postby peter horvath on Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:01 pm

martin- welcome to the board. <P>please post the pics immediately. <P>as for paying too much, i'd definitely have much more sound city gear if i could get it cheaper. it's a damn good value in an amp. hey, feel free to send as many heads and cabs as you like to ME. :D <P>seriously though, you couldn't GIVE sound city stuff away 10 years ago. i've always liked it, but that's just me(and a few other of the folks around this board)...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby Custom50 on Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:12 pm

Welcome from me too. SC stuff is a damn good value (though as mrhorvath says, it's starting to creep up), and it sounds great!<BR>I'd love to get a hold of an SC 4x12 (in the late '70's/early '80's, lots of the local music stores used to have SC gear as their "PA/backlines-for-hire"). I can remember renting 100's and 50+ heads and 4x12's for $5-10 a night! They were absolutely indestructable and moved TONS of air. :D
Never let the music get in the way of the stage act...
Custom50
Page

Postby SMF on Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:10 pm

Do you slave all your heads and cabinets together at once or just use one at a time?<P>Signed,<BR>Curious
Dan Rimsa
SMF
Peasant

Postby hcmaxson on Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:25 pm

Welcome limeycity,<BR>I've liked these amps since my band used them in the mid 70's. I've got 5 heads (1 120R, 2 50Rs, and 2 50+s), 2 4x12 cabs and 2 4x10 cabs. I bought them when I had money, now I don't but I won't sell them. <BR>I'd like to built a reissue to see if the tones can be duplicated with all modern parts, then maybe there'll be a new Sound City line.<BR>Until then we here in the colonies are stuck with paying higher prices for these great amps.
Best regards,
Howard
hcmaxson
Court Jester

Postby Painterman on Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:33 am

Welcome to the board LimeyCity. <P>I've got a Sound City 120 head, a Bass 150 head, a 2x15 bass cab, a 2x12" cab and a 4x12" cab, and a Concord combo. <P>For the most part, Sound City amps aren't THAT expensive compared to Marshalls and other tube amps. I've never paid more that US$250 for a head - and no more than US $200 for a cabinet. The most expensive piece of SC gear I own is my Concord combo - which I paid US $400 for. <P>Considering I paid $800 for a USED RI Marshall Bluesbreaker, and the cost of a USED 60s/70s twin... US$400 is CHEAP for a good combo amp - especially when it sounds as good as mine does. :)<BR>(oh - and send some VAMPs for Shane) :)
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby Highwaystar on Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:17 am

Welcome aboard Martin.<BR>I too have a collection of these under rated amps. But hey thats the way I like it.<BR>How many PTP amps can you buy for under $300.00 US?<P>You could make a nice coin by finding Knobs and selling them to us. :D
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Postby Painterman on Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:52 pm

And logos for amps and cabs :)
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby peter horvath on Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:05 pm

and combos and columns and stacks, oh my!
peter horvath
Baron

Postby limeycity on Tue Jul 10, 2001 5:04 pm

Thanks for all your coments,<BR>SMF Ive aways dreamed of connecting them all together but never have the room I must admit 1 SC 120 almost takes your head off !<BR>I have not switched on any of the heads for some years now I expect the caps will blow when I do All my 4 x 12" cabs are in a store on the farm where we live buried behind my PA system. I only use an Electrovoice 12" in my workshop mainly because its 400watts and shouldnt blow.I have some real weird cabs in there vox 4 x 12`s and a lot of WEM`s <P>Howard,<BR>I would like to do that as well the trouble is to buy the parts new you could buy 2 or 3 genuine SC heads secondhand Over here we have newspapers called "freeads" where I buy most of mine from. I guess you do in the States as well What is this ebay thing I hear a lot about. I recently fond on the net a firm in England who was tring to rip you guys off offering amps for 700-800 $ plus freight I bet they only paid £50 for them.<P>Painterman,<BR>I agree on the prices I recently sold a Fender vibrosonic for £500 which is a lot of money especially when I got it for nothing.<P>Nate,<P>I am working on the Knobs issue there is a electronics firm in this country that still sells the number skirted knob as used on most SC heads more info to follow<BR>logo`s are as rare as anything I have a number of heads with no logos on them Maybe we could get together and get someone to remake a batch <BR>must go and fix some Peavey gear<P>Martin
martin
limeycity
Certified

Postby chrism on Tue Jul 10, 2001 5:59 pm

Is that the 70's vibrosonic (silverfaced) or the 60's vibrasonic (brown) for 500 lsd? If the former, damn they are cheap here.<P>chris m
On a long enough time line the survival for everyone drops to zero.
chrism
Baron

Postby limeycity on Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:50 pm

Hi Chris<P>Yes it was a silverfaced vibronsonic The underside of the chassis looked like a mess at a spagetti factory but it sounded good and very loud very rare here in the uk you dont see many for sale<P>Has anyboby got a picture of a Sound City 4 x 10" cab I have only seen 4 x 12" guitar cabs and pa columns <P>Martin
martin
limeycity
Certified

Postby hcmaxson on Tue Jul 10, 2001 9:50 pm

Martin,<BR>Go to <A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com" TARGET=_blank>www.cartogra.com</A> <BR>Towards the bottom of the home page you'll see a link to view a friend's album. Just type in the search box hcmaxson and mine comes up. Follow the directions to view my album and you'll see my two 4x10s, along with the rest of the collection. ;)
Best regards,
Howard
hcmaxson
Court Jester

Return to Sound City