Sound City Kills Marshall

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

Sound City Kills Marshall

Postby Woody on Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:13 pm

Well, here's something that did not make me happy.<P>I got back from my trip up north and decided to bring my PP renovated Gibson Thor 45 Watt 2x10 Bass Combos to Church for some stereo bass action (I'm kidding) last weekend (More on the merrits of the Thor Amps later). The bass setup I've been using was a L120B into an Ampeg 4x10. As some may remember the Sound City tone is a bit weird for this style but with a little eq it was convincing for Worship Music. Right next to the Bass setup I have my 2553 2x12 Marshall. It's a very versatile amp for this venue (It's pulled hard rock duty, jazz, acoustic amplification etc.....). <P>Well, I reach around the back of the combo and realize that there is an extra speaker cord plugged into the back of the amp. But it isn't plugged in right next to the 'L' speaker cord that supplies the 2x12's in the box. OH-OH, I think to myself, these cats were doing some DI thing going directly to the board. OK, but I gotta move the stuff around a bit, so I reach back and unplug the cable and trace where it's going. Well guess what, its going around the back of the L120B and right into its SPEAKER OUTPUT! :) , Woody - :roll:
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Re: Sound City Kills Marshall

Postby spentmusic on Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:27 pm

I never leave my amps at our church. Other people walk in and plug things together that they have no idea about. Our little PA head there is a mess in only 2 years. I'm building a cabinet that locks and will drive down to let people get into it just so when the Praise Team plays it works. But will never leave an amp un-attended.<P>Jeff S :o :o
Jeff Swanson
DST
spentmusic
Page

Postby teleharmonium on Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:43 pm

I used to have one of those Thor amps, it was noisy but had a nice low end at moderate volume. Ugly little sucker, and not lightweight. Alas it was stolen from me when an art gallery I was affiliated with was broken into, along with a lot of pricey video equipment (theirs, not mine).
teleharmonium
Squire

Postby Woody on Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:01 am

Yeah, I know Jeff - I should pack it up but its more convenient to have gear there. That's why I have the utility stuff there (Sorry Nate - but it's Good utility stuff!). Now having both Thor's there we are ready for bass, both sound killer together. I've even got the Framptone amp switcher there for dynamic playing. The Thor's are also killer for a stereo guitar / processor / power amp rig. They will put out more than enough clean power to work well with a good sized venue. I'm working on getting a guitar / bass double neck and combined with the Framptone and processor functions be ready for both stereo guitar and bass out of the same rig. Plus there's that major geek / cool factor. How many riffs have you punched out with a Gibson Thor? :p
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Postby Highwaystar on Sat Jun 30, 2001 2:36 am

Woody,<BR> No worries, I know a reliable settup also.<P>I wish they could make a Marshall that H/D. :p
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Postby TubeGetter on Sat Jun 30, 2001 4:40 am

I've never even heard one.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby TubeGetter on Sun Jul 01, 2001 1:56 am

Hey Nate, do you have the fire departments telephone number near one of your phones? Just trying to promote amp safety. :D
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby Highwaystar on Sun Jul 01, 2001 2:26 am

No I have Halon bottles all around the house.<P>Hey Have you seen how much they have that chassis up to now? Cheese us rice.<BR>The sad part is I think I know where the case to that chassis is. <P>In case of emergency call 1-888-517-2166 :D <P>If you keep this attacking up I'm going to put a Lime in your beer!
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Return to Sound City