L110 cab - Grille cloth ideas

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

L110 cab - Grille cloth ideas

Postby robkhooster on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Had a bit of luck this week when I managed to hook up with a guy who was clearing out his loft in order to make space for his son... anyway, for the princely sum of £60 (!) I managed to acquire a horrible Line 6 head (which won't be mentioned again), a 50w Carlsboro valve PA head and an old Sound City 4x12 (marked L110 on the back). The cab is in pretty rough shape - it looks like someone has removed the grille cloth with a stanley knife or something at some point, and then reglued the logo plate to the cab. All original drivers though - one has a small tear in the cone (bottom left one) which I will be repairing with some filer paper and pva in due course. I would like to get some new grille cloth, has anyone got any suggestions for suppliers and patterns? Going to powering it with a park 1204 100w combo btw... it sounds big and angry!

(sorry about the crappy pics. If anyone wants to see some better pics let me know and I'll take some)

robkhooster
Court Jester

Re: L110 cab - Grille cloth ideas

Postby Dick Dackray on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm

We had our gear set up in a pub years ago and there was a fire. I had a Sound City 50 Plus head and a Sound City 6-10 speaker cabinet. Still have them both.

A lot of our gear was burnt but most of the Sound City survived. The grill cloth was gone, the knobs were drooping and melted and the speakers only had the frames left. It was pretty awful.

It took me months to get the smoke smell off of the cabinets and amp but I finally did. Lots of scrubbing and spray.
I reloaded the cabinet with 3 different brand of speaker. 2 of each. I then bought a really good quality Union Jack flag and use it for grill cloth. I bought different color chicken knobs for the head. I was amazed when the amp turned on and was fine.

If you go on the Soundcitysite.com, it's shown under stacks with a comment GOD BLESS THE QUEEN.

It looks pretty dang cool on the stage
Dick Dackray
Peasant

Postby robkhooster on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 pm

I've seen that picture on the Sound City site! Looks very cool. Could be tempted by a Welsh flag I guess :)
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby Papa Dog on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:09 am

that's an early one, fer sure.
removable back, rear mounted drivers.
should have cast framed Fanes, and I would be carefull driving it with a 100 watt amp.
those speakers are c. 50 years old, and, no matter what they are rated, cannot be expected to handle the same power as they did when new.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby robkhooster on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 am

Early 70s I was thinking (70-73)? Drivers are rated at 40w each, won't be running the amp flat out, don't worry! Been looking for a suitable 4x12 for a while, couldn't believe it when this one turned up for hardly any money. Will try to take a better pic of the back of the drivers later.
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby Papa Dog on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:18 pm

robkhooster wrote:Early 70s I was thinking (70-73)? Drivers are rated at 40w each, won't be running the amp flat out, don't worry! Been looking for a suitable 4x12 for a while, couldn't believe it when this one turned up for hardly any money. Will try to take a better pic of the back of the drivers later.

don't think I have pics of that particular model
pictures are atSound City pictures.
need your's as well please. serial tag is very important for dating and identifying.
Send them to admin@SoundCItySite.com

Just guessing here, but I would place that cab c. late '60s ('68-'69), from the features I have seen already. Could be later, it's hard to say for sure right now. Thin g is, they went to front loaded, sealed back cabs in the early '70s.
Seriel number and speaker codes will help narrow that down.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby robkhooster on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Ah, I was going by an old advert dated from the early 70s as opposed to any matching of features. These pics any good for the codes? Thanks for you input papa dog, it's great to find out more about old gear :)

robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby robkhooster on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Just out of interest, how much do these cabs normally sell for? I did feel a bit sorry for the chap selling it, as he seemed a bit gutted. He thought it was 20 years old (!) and told me to get it out of his house quickly before he changed his mind.
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby Papa Dog on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:00 am

"normally" implies that these things come on the market regularly...they do not.
the sticker on the speaker and the appearance tell me that those are the fabled and coveted cast framed Fane speakers.
dunno current market on the speakers, but I have seen them sell for c. $250.00/ea.

A couple years back I bought a pair of later model 4x12 Sound City cabs with square back Emenence speakers, and paid $500.00 each. do the math.

The serial tag on the cab tells a lot, but I have yet to decode the alpha/numerics so canot say for sure when it was built.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby robkhooster on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Wowser... will definitely be fitting new grille cloth before it goes out gigging then!
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby Papa Dog on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:27 pm

robkhooster wrote:Wowser... will definitely be fitting new grille cloth before it goes out gigging then!

I would be carefull giging that cab. And would not play at performance volume with less than 2 cabs. wouldn't wanna blow any of those speakers.
Or...you could just box it up and trade it to me in exchange for a Marshall JCM800 1960B. :twisted:

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby robkhooster on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:57 pm

The speaker in the combo stays connected when you add an extension cab so I am guessing that there is only 50w going to the 4x12. Sound engineers round here normally pull faces when you wheel a 4x12 on stage so I don't think the amp will be cranked at all, it's got a MV as well luckily. Sounds great at house levels, in the rehearsal studio in a bit so will give it a bit more of a test then.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting some vintage Fender style cloth to cover the front like this: http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/grill-cloth-fender-style-aged-blue-white-silver-36-wide-per-yard . As far as i can tell the front baffle board is held in with nuts and bolts so I should be able to undo them all and remove the board forwards, recover it and wrap the cloth edges round the back of it and then reassemble it all.
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby robkhooster on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Not the most compact rig in the world but there you go... Image
robkhooster
Court Jester

Postby peter horvath on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Nice cab! Fender cloth looks quite nice on these, as evidenced in this pic: Image although I THINK your cab might have the same cloth as mine: http://soundcitysite.com/photo_page_11.htm#B80_2.1 - good luck finding a piece of THAT, though... :twisted:
peter horvath
Baron

Postby robkhooster on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Had a good go at getting the baffle board out and basically gave up in the end - a combination of AF nuts, bolts that were spinning and ancient threadlock stuff. Was a bit worried that I was going to end up breaking something permanently, so I knocked up a frame, covered it with vintage Fender style cloth (which was all that was in stock in Allparts!) and tapped it in to the recess at the front of the cab. More concerned with getting some protection for the drivers before I take the cab out to a rehearsal room in a week or so than any kind of vintage authenticity, sorry... anyway, it looks ok, cloth is a bit wonky at the top edge so I might have another go at some point (waits for horrified comments!).

robkhooster
Court Jester

Next

Return to Sound City