Sound City 50 + power switch problems.

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

Sound City 50 + power switch problems.

Postby stonedwizard on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 am

Hello.

Got some power switch and stand by switch problems when my 50+ arrived after cap job.
Here's YouTube video to get what i mean.

http://youtu.be/eLN3B6BLA4s

Any ideas what's happening with it? Can make some high quality photos of the guts if it'll help to clarify the problem.

Thanks!
ESP LTD EC 401VF, FirstAct Custom Infrated Lola BKP Stockholm ->Lava Ultramafic->Mountainking Electronics Megalith->Earthbound Audio Supercollider->Skreddy Echo->Lava Soar->Verellen Loucks, Sound City 50 Plus->Matamp 112s Eminence Swamp Thang
stonedwizard
Peasant

Re: Sound City 50 + power switch problems.

Postby Papa Dog on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:27 pm

will need to see good gut pics to even start evaluating, but your tech messed something up, fer sure.
sounds like there is a grounding issue to start, and could be a bad cap or two.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Re: Sound City 50 + power switch problems.

Postby gldtp99 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 am

Replace Mains and Standby switches---- I've had several old, original switches go bad on Sound City amps------ when I do a conversion I remove the old switches and throw them away---- On one I decided to re-use the original switches and while a potential customer was playing the amp, the Mains switch failed with a loud crackling noise------- the customer was not impressed and left never to return.
Use switches like these----- I use many of the 1st type Carling in amp builds/service ------ the 2nd switch is orig Plexi type and may be a more authentic vintage replacement if that is an issue for you.

Switches: http://valvestorm.com/Products/Switches

I see that you're from Russia----- buying switches from a USA company might involve high shipping costs---- I'm sure suitable switches are available where you live.
Welcome to the forum.................................gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Return to Sound City