What's the best Capacitors to use in a x-188?

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

What's the best Capacitors to use in a x-188?

Postby junkin8ez on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi All,
I just picked up a X-188 in need of a partial cap job. I was going to use JJ or F&T 32/32 caps.Which is better?
Also what would be the best replacement for the 2 Erie 200u @ 350v cans?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
junkin8ez
Peasant

Re: What's the best Capacitors to use in a x-188?

Postby partsstan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi; Nice rare amp. I have used JJ caps in 5 or 6 S/Cs with very good results. I think they are a good choice. :D :D :D :jam: :jam: :jam:
partsstan
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 pm

i've used both jj's and f&t's in different amps (not x-188) and really didn't notice any sonic difference...

jj's were less expensive by a couple bucks, f&t's look way cooler though with the gold letters on a black cap, lol... :lol:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Papa Dog on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 am

I am loathe to recomend specific brands of caps, but would recomend using top shelf premium caps. Good caps are not cheap and cheap caps are seldom good. Bad or weak caps can mean catstrophic failure.
Wall voltages are higher now than when those amps were new, so I usually go with higher voltage electrlytics.
I use 500V. While some might think that excessive, I think that one can hardly go wrong going with higher voltages, within reason of course. In any case, do not go with lower voltage ratings.

Do you have a schematic for that amp? There is not one at The Sound City Site archives. I would like to have one in the schematics section if anyone has one.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby junkin8ez on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks Gents!
I also found 2 yellow big ceramic resistors which are both cracked. In back of the 1st volume pot on a separate board. They are the size of an orange drop cap but are yellow with a (from top) Purple stripe,yellow stripe/space,white stripe & then a red stripe.
I tried loading pic but "board attachment quota has been reached" message came up
junkin8ez
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 pm

junkin8ez wrote:Thanks Gents!
I also found 2 yellow big ceramic resistors which are both cracked. In back of the 1st volume pot on a separate board. They are the size of an orange drop cap but are yellow with a (from top) Purple stripe,yellow stripe/space,white stripe & then a red stripe.
I tried loading pic but "board attachment quota has been reached" message came up

if you hit the quote button above this message it will show you how to successfully post a picture like the one below of my new stove, courtesy of state farm insurance when i almost burnt the house down last turkey day (nobody's perfect :roll: ):

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby junkin8ez on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm

No luck, Does not like me. "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"
junkin8ez
Peasant

Postby Papa Dog on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:48 pm

junkin8ez wrote:Thanks Gents!

now I really want to see a schematic. I think those are 74k 2%. Could be wrong.

for posting pics on this site the best betis to drop them into photobucket and then use the img tags to link to that place.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby junkin8ez on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:20 am

I asked my local Guru. He slapped me & informed me they were .47 ceramic caps. Thanks for the help though.
junkin8ez
Peasant

Postby Papa Dog on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 am

junkin8ez wrote:I asked my local Guru. He slapped me & informed me they were .47 ceramic caps. Thanks for the help though.

Someimtes gurus can be a bit heavy handed or have forgotten the depths from which they have risen.
I have not seen pics, but it seems reasonable that someone might have put ceramic caps in place of film, or maybe it was borned that way. But .47 mfd ? Are they cathode bypass caps? Or couplers?

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby junkin8ez on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 am

junkin8ez
Peasant

Return to Sound City