Found a Sound City cab on craigslist, looks like an odd one

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

Found a Sound City cab on craigslist, looks like an odd one

Postby jamesylewis on Sun May 26, 2013 7:01 pm

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/3826737873.html

The pictures are not very good and the guy didn't know whether there were Fanes or Eminences in this thing. Is there anything you guys could tell me about it, esp. if those are Fanes in there?
jamesylewis
Peasant

Re: Found a Sound City cab on craigslist, looks like an odd

Postby partsstan on Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi; What you have there is a Tour Series cabinet. It was originally made with eminence speakers most likely. Wish it was in SoCal :cry: :cry: :cry:
partsstan
Court Jester

Postby jamesylewis on Sun May 26, 2013 7:41 pm

He says its a 16 ohm cab, so I'm guessing I could have it rewired for 4 ohms and use it with my Traynor YBA-3. He said there were either Fane or Eminence speakers, whichever are in there are the originals. Good shape.

But he's asking $550 or best offer, which to me is a little much if it just has those Eminence square magnet speakers. I could get an old V4 cabinet with the same speakers for much, much cheaper. What would be a fair price?
jamesylewis
Peasant

Postby Papa Dog on Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 pm

jamesylewis wrote:He says its a 16 ohm cab, so I'm guessing I could have it rewired for 4 ohms and use it with my Traynor YBA-3. He said there were either Fane or Eminence speakers, whichever are in there are the originals. Good shape.

But he's asking $550 or best offer, which to me is a little much if it just has those Eminence square magnet speakers. I could get an old V4 cabinet with the same speakers for much, much cheaper. What would be a fair price?

Too bad there are no pics of the back of a speaker.
Those look to be eminence, just from the dust covers, but I could be wrong.
IMHO $550 is not a bad price for that cab. I paid more for each of my L412 cabs, and neither is in as good shape, and they both have the square back eminence drivers.
I would also like to see the tag from the back. That would tell us a lot more.

Yes, you can usually re-wire a 16 ohm cab to 4 ohms. One of my cabs had been re-wired to 4 ohms, and I had to change it back so that I could run both with a 200+.

Whether or not you can get a V-4 cab for cheaper is not relevant. They are not the same. If price is your only criterium, then by all means get the Ampeg, and leave the Sound City Tour Series cab to someone who will value it for what it is.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Rex Everything on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Since you are not looking to mate this with an SC head and you are not specifically searching for an SC cab, I'd suggest going with the Ampeg V4.

The Traynor head/Ampeg V4 cab combo is a match made in heaven and hard to beat ;)

I sure wish I still had my V4 4x12. The VT-22 2X12 is working nicely but I miss having 4x12's....
Rex Everything
Peasant

Return to Sound City