SC 120/SLO Fun

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

SC 120/SLO Fun

Postby gldtp99 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 am

I get to my shop after work tonight and a player i know comes over and asks me (again) if I would build him an 800 watt tube power head to use in his touring rig--- I, again. tell him that this is not a practical idea and he should stay with his 1000 watt solid state power amp---he used to use a 1500 watter and back then he asked me to build a 1000 watt tube power amp because "tube watts are louder than solid state watts, right ?" Whatever-- :lol: :shock:
So he asks me what was the most powerful tube amp i had on hand---since he's a hard rock/metal player i had him plug into the converted SC 120-to-Soldano SLO lead channel amp thru a single 4x12--- he uses a POD floor model as a preamp into the 1000 watt solld state power amp but he didn't have any of that with him.
With the 120/SLO cranked up to 9 on both Gain and Master his eyes lit up and he played for @15 minutes with a big grin---i had to leave the room, i can't take that much volume.
I asked him if it was enough power and he said "He** Yes"--- but he wants a similar sized amp that is clean so he can use his POD preamp---i see a use for the last inop/parts SC 120 i have in storage.
It was an impressive thing, as i was listening to him play from a safe distance down the hallway in another room, that SC 120 power section getting pushed--- very impressive with the SLO preamp pushing it.
I did tell him that Reeves makes a 400 watt tube amp but he said the SC 120 was louder than he needed, he plays loud but not as loud as he was demoing my amp--- he just likes big wattage for huge headroom--- and he wanted to see how much push this amp had--- It Pushes !!!------i'm lucky to have people stop by and play like this---there's no way i will play that loud---If the amp holds up thru that, it will take about anything-------- :thumbsup: :cheers: ................................gldtp99

I've posted pics of this thing before but here are a couple again----- the amp has all six EL34's now--- it has only four in the pic:
gldtp99
Baron

Re: SC 120/SLO Fun

Postby Rex Everything on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 am

Cool looking amp!

I used to run a Soldano SP-77 pre amp and always loved the tone. I bet this screams... :jam:
Rex Everything
Peasant

Postby gldtp99 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks-- it was a fun experiment built from a "problem" SC 120-- if i built anything like this again i'll build with a new chassis and iron.
Most people don't have a use for something this powerful-- but then sometimes you run into players like my friend that uses the 1000 watt ss power amp..................................gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 am

Having played that amp, I can say it is extremely LOUD. Why bother competing for frequencies with other members in the band when you can blow a hole right through them?
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Mr. Foxen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Having played that amp, I can say it is extremely LOUD. Why bother competing for frequencies with other members in the band when you can blow a hole right through them?

Because its a band not a competition?
New music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Mr. Foxen wrote:
Mr. Arkadin wrote:Having played that amp, I can say it is extremely LOUD. Why bother competing for frequencies with other members in the band when you can blow a hole right through them?

My post was lighthearted humor and not serious gigging advice by any means. If you ever play that amp you'll understand exactly what I mean. 8)
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby gldtp99 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Mr. Arkadin wrote:
Mr. Foxen wrote:

My post was lighthearted humor and not serious gigging advice by any means. If you ever play that amp you'll understand exactly what I mean. 8)

If you ever want to play this one again I just loaded a 4x12 with new WGS ET65's---- this is the cab that the other guy was playing through--- so we could hook up two 16 ohm 4x12's and see how it sounds with a fullstack--- the amp does have two speaker out jacks on the back--- they must have put them there for a good reason and it would be a shame to waste them--- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .
When you cranked this amp up thru a single 4x12 the rappers who were recording across the hall seemed to vanish by the time you were done--- maybe with a fullstack it would blast them to sub-atomic particles and it would be doing the world a favor----- :jam: :jam: 8) 8) ...............................gldtp99

PS--- bring earplugs
gldtp99
Baron

Postby burnout on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I believe it! I had my SC120/Hiwatt build cranked up at rehearsal a bit louder than I usually do (our bassist is a new owner of a '78 SVT and 8x10) and this morning I had trouble hearing my wife when she asked if I wanted coffee. Channel was around 8 and I think the MV was at 4? I can't imagine turning it up to 9 or 10. Even my bandmates would tell me WTF.
burnout
Court Jester

Postby gldtp99 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 pm

In my posts above i was just having a little fun--- on a serious note, one of my good amp customers has permanent hearing damage caused by playing bass through a big Sound City amp many yrs ago in NYC--- the amp wasn't his and he can't remember what model it was (120, 200 etc)--- not that it really matters--- he really can't hear what his amp tone sounds like to other people anymore--- it's sad because he's a very good player----- and even moderately loud stage vol levels sound like a big wash of mush to him now----he's playing a 12 watt Fender Princeton Reverb i rebuilt and doing jazz/swing at low stage vols.
Many people like large wattage amps because of the depth of tone and the headroom available--- even when played at moderate to low volumes amps like this give a depth of tone that low wattage amps just can't provide---a 12 to 15 watt amp just isn't going to sound like a 120 or 200 watter even if the small amp is being played louder at the time.
Even the guy who was blasting the 120/SLO doesn't actually play his 1000 watt solid state stage rig as loud as he was playing the 120 watter---- he likes the headroom and feel of having a huge poweramp at his control--- he's a experienced pro musician and the last thing he wants to do is damage his hearing------- which doesn't explain his cranking my 120/SLO.
Big amps need to be used with caution----you might be able to win a volume war against another player but consider the cost to your hearing if you do-------- earplugs can help if high vol levels are unavoidable------i wear earplugs every day at work because it is a loud environment and i'm there for 8+ hrs a day 5 and 6 days a week......................gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Return to Sound City