Fender DeLuxe Reverb 1965

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Fender DeLuxe Reverb 1965

Postby kjellarn on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello!

I've got a Fender DeLuxe Reverb Blackface from 1965 (according to the serial number), made in the USA - pre the CBS takeover. But there are something that puzzles me.

It is made for 220V/50Hz originally (it's stamped on the inside tube chart), to be used in Norway.

It has a Goodman Audiom 61 12" speaker, rated at 20 Watts (40 Watts U.S.A.). The DeLuxe Reverb is rated at 22W, so why use a speaker that can't "take it"?

I have seen a list of speakers used by Fender in the actual period, and Audiom 61 is not on it.

I really doubt that this speaker is a replacement, I'm 99% sure it's been there since the amp was new. Has anybody any idea of how this speaker could have ended up in my amp?

Thank's

Kjell
kjellarn
Peasant

Re: Fender DeLuxe Reverb 1965

Postby Naked Clarke on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Never heard of Fender using that model speaker and I doubt that it is original. A 20 watt Deluxe Reverb with a 40 watt speaker should be fine. CBS bought Fender on January 5, 1965 so your amp is most likely, and technically CBS.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Output at 22w usa, speaker at 40w usa :thumbsup:

fwiw, I replaced the original speaker in my 68 sfdr with bfdr circuit with a p12n and it was so much better it was hard to believe it was the same amp....... Went from "ok" to breathtaking especially outside with no walls. Stupendous actually.....
:jam: :highfive:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby JJman on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Speaker wattage is speaker wattage, regardless of the country or voltage coming from the wall. If the speaker is 20 (max) watts in Norway it is 20 (max) watts in USA. Or maybe there are different rules/definitions across the Atlantic? RMS vs Peak?
-If it says "Vintage" on it, it isn't.
JJman
Certified

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:21 pm

I am going to think that the speaker is not original to the amp. Also....picky point....but 1965 is the first year of the CBS era. The contracts were signed on January 4, 1965. It is true that that circuit was designed in 1963, though....definitely pre-CBS in that regard. Aspen Pittman mistakenly put the date for "pre-CBS" to be 1967.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender