DOD classic fuzz

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

DOD classic fuzz

Postby Roy Boltz on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 am

I got one of these in a bulk buy of pedals & I'm quite surprized on how good this thing sounds in my Jubilee.
It's not as dark sounding as a fuzz face type of fuzz but I can dial in a decent responce with it.
It actually sounds nice & responds very good with my strat volume control.

Any one else have one & like it?

Boltz
Roy Boltz
King

Re: DOD classic fuzz

Postby Roy Boltz on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:48 am

Wow, not much action here,LOL.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Shakkal on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

I have one but haven't used it in a while ... it has some Big Muff character mixed in with a Fuzzface type of thing if I remember well. It's a good pedal that I stopped using for no particular reason other than I wanted to try other things ... might have to give it another go.
Shakkal
Court Jester

Postby Roy Boltz on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 pm

My settings on the DOD are slightly over unity gain for the volume, tone is all the way clockwise, & fuzz is set at 2.
I run it into a driven sound of my Marshall Jubilee, not the lead channel but the normal channel with the rythm clip engaged.
The tone of the amp without the fuzz engaged would be close to how my plexi superlead would sound gain wise when up to 7 on the volume, without the ear shattering volume.
It sounds best into a Marshall as I've tried it with my old Vox & Fender & it's OK, sounds killer in my Jubilee.
The sound cleans up like a good fuzzface does IMHO, but I like the way it sounds better than my Analog Man sunface.
I can't comment on how it sounds with humbuckers but it's the bomb with my strat.
I can also boost before the fuzz without any odd effects & my Ibanez WH10 wah sounds great in front of it.

Cheers
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Shakkal on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I don't think I ever tried it into an overdriven Marshall or similar, I had used it with a Fender Deluxe Reverb ... thanks for the tip.
Shakkal
Court Jester

Postby Roy Boltz on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:07 am

Just a bump on this thread to say that this thing works so killer as an overdrive.
If anyone has one try the settings that I previously suggested, it sends a clean signal mixed in when the tone control is set full clockwise & when the drive is set completely counter clockwise it has this sweet fuzzy tweed type of drive in the sound. The clean part is very transparent & drives an amplifier that is sensitive to dynamics. The classic fuzz
also provides absolutely no mid hump like a tube screamer. The pedal will provide a bit more boost than a tube screamer would at full level as well.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:38 pm

It's a great cheap fuzz. DOD made a ton of them, but folks hang on to them, so I don't often see them in the shops, probably because as you mention, they work well with a variety of guitars & amps--unlike a lot of the older pedals.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Roy Boltz on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:50 am

I've been looking around locally for a backup. The fuzz on this pedal is OK but really works best to my ears as an overdrive.
They are not that popular so I'm hoping I can find one cheap. If you haven't tried one yet & if you ever
find one cheap, post your thoughts. I am also looking out for one of those TC line drivers you recommend.

Cheers.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby PeterS on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Looks like you can get one on ebay for about $30.

Now I'm tempted... for the last coupla years my rig is set, Boss ME5 and a Ross distortion-phaser. The blessing and the curse of using a multieffects unit is you can't swap in a new pedal every month or two -- keeps my shopping under control!
PeterS
King

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

PeterS wrote:Looks like you can get one on ebay for about $30.

Now I'm tempted... for the last coupla years my rig is set, Boss ME5 and a Ross distortion-phaser. The blessing and the curse of using a multieffects unit is you can't swap in a new pedal every month or two -- keeps my shopping under control!

i've been following a search on this and picked one up for $40 + $11.25 shipping. dunno why the guy sent it one day priority, i'd would have prefered to save a few bucks but oh well. super nice condition, still has a battery cover, great paint still shiney, one tiny scratch

got it yesterday and hooked up to my 68 sfdr

*nice*

thinnin i like it more than my boss mt-2, which i think is just a little too heavy metal for me

really getting sounds out of the sfdr set to 2 that match my plexi 1987 clone set to 'stupid loud' --- 10

had the LP studio hooked up, played Hurricane with it

freakin' perfect. neil would have been proud.

the wife and me were singing out in the backyard just rockin' away

felt really groovy maaaaaaaan
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby PeterS on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:20 am

Now it sounds like i really have to get one...

>> i like it more than my boss mt-2, which i think is just a little too heavy metal for me
I have one of those, and couldn't do much with it til I modded it. Can't remember what I did but it was some straightforward stuff I found on the internet,
to make the frequency response less extreme, made it useful. As made it sounds great for making big sounds with a tiny amp in your bedroom, and at one time it was the biggest selling Boss pedal, which makes sense because sounding huge with a tiny amp in your bedroom is probably what 90% of guitar players are trying to do (well, maybe not YOUR bedroom, but their own!).
Another Boss I like is the MZ-2, Digital Metallizer --- with the chorus/doubler effects off it's an interesting distortion pedal, not for constant use but for when you need that particular kind of racket...

>>the wife and me were singing out in the backyard

That sounds like fun. Try singing in my backyard and you'll have frostbite before the second verse!
PeterS
King

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain