Fuzz v guitar volume?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Fuzz v guitar volume?

Postby edward2b on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi! Do most fuzz pedals work best with guitar vol on 10?
Just taken delivery of a Lovepedal Karl Fuzz,it sounds great but volume drops off dramatically between 10 and 8 on the guitar.If you set it up at say 5 on guitar there`s too much volume jump above 8!
Only used a vintage Big Muff before and it responded much more smoothly to guitar volume.
Thanks.
edward2b
Peasant

Re: Fuzz v guitar volume?

Postby skeletron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 pm

My Fulltone '70s Fuzz is very similar. Little action happening between 0 and 8. I notice an added mid hump or scoop depending on where the mid dial is, and a bit of clean boost depending on where the volume is. However, the fuzz dial doesn't translate until the guitar volume is between 8 and 10. Seems to be that anything less than 10 just provides a mild overdrive and 10 gets you to crazy town alright.

I've tried this with three different guitars: Telecaster (humbucker in neck, single in bridge), Toronado (P90s), ES335 (Humbuckers). All guitars react the same.
skeletron
Squire

Postby edward2b on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks! I`ve tried it with strat,tele,lp,junior and four amps,guess it must be normal huh!
edward2b
Peasant

Postby vez on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 pm

The Fultone '69 was a better pedal than the 70.
It had a knob called "Bias" that resolved your problem.
This "Bias" knob was just a 50K pot on the front end.
This knob also allowed you to match the pedal ON level of fuzz and volume with the pedal OFF vol level.
Very handy.
vez
Squire

Postby edward2b on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:14 pm

That sounds useful,it just feels wrong that you can`t use your vol knob to control the effect,it`s as if something doesn`t match up!
edward2b
Peasant

Postby edward2b on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Update! Got rid of the Lovepedal,replaced it with a Tonebender Mk1 clone that I had built.Wow! This is what I was looking for! Lots of boost available but very controlable from the guitar,cleans up a treat! I`d recommend this circuit to anyone.
edward2b
Peasant

Postby vez on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 am

edward2b wrote:Update! Got rid of the Lovepedal,replaced it with a Tonebender Mk1 clone that I had built.Wow! This is what I was looking for! Lots of boost available but very controlable from the guitar,cleans up a treat! I`d recommend this circuit to anyone.

Xnt! I've been wanting to build a MkI for a long time. Rock on!
vez
Squire

Postby edward2b on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:16 am

If you can,do it! They`re like an instrument in their own right,lots of different sounds to be found with them.Mine seems to work well with most amps also,only one I don`t like it with is my DRRI,it`s too trebly!
Regards.
edward2b
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain