Jordan BossTone / Maxon Distortion Booster

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Jordan BossTone / Maxon Distortion Booster

Postby Pacafeliz on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 pm

hey there, found a couple of these old plug-into-the-guitar fuzz boxes.
...any idea what they are worth these days?

i had a Jordan, many many moons ago, and liked it, but what about the Maxon?
thnx!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: Jordan BossTone / Maxon Distortion Booster

Postby Strat59 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Any pics ? I have 5 Original Jordans. I've seen them sell to $350. One thing most people don't realize is that the
Jordan Boss Tone had 2 Versions. When the company began making them they had a different circuit.
Custom ordered Transistors from Motorola made specifically for Jordan. After a short period they changed
the circuit ?, dropping this Transistor and changing values and number of resistors on the board. I stumbled
upon this by chance, as there is little or no information / history of the company or this pedal.

Josh Fiden modeled his Voodoo Labs pedal on this second version circuit. As did the final (Sho Bud) Boss
Tone. Even the Mahoney Boss Tone clones are second version circuit models. Chris has been looking high
and low for the illusive First Version Circuit Model. Very Scarce. I have 3, they are smoother and more
organic sounding IMHO to the ones that followed.

All great pedals though. Chris Mahoney makes a very handy Switch Box whereby you can now plug the unit
in and use it as a Floor Pedal to be switched in and out, rather than the old plug into the guitar (Strats
not included) but now can be used with all guitars with this foot pedal.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Crootnik on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

interesting.. I had one of the orig Jordan Bosstones back in the 70s after seeing Spirit play in Michigan.. and had read an interview with Randy California about his use of that box. It worked great with my Gibson SG.. that fuzz just ruled! I was way more into that sound than the Big Muffs everyone else seemed to be into, at the time.

I have read about the Voodoo Lab model and I plan on picking one of those up at some point. I am married to my Maestro Fuzztain MFZ-1, though.. the Voodoo Lab fuzz will just be for everything else.

Chris Flynn aka Crootnik

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
Crootnik
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am

thanks guys!

yeah i used to have one of them original bosstones some many years ago... but then i got 100% into strats and -well, being of no use- i sold it. bummer.

i'll try to get my hands on this one if i can get it cheap (so under $100 is a good deal? - it has a new on/off switch). stay tuned.
rock on!

Pat.

ps: any info on the maxon booster thing? it's about the same thing, but different look and brand.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby Strat59 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 am

One of the Original Sho Sound TN Boss Tones just sold on Ebay with Box for $228.

Josh Fiden was friends with Randy California, he told me he went to a Tone Party once with Randy.
Randy confirmed his use of the Jordan Boss was all over the Spirit Albums. Josh borrowed one to
model his Voodoo Labs pedal.

I agree totally that the Boss Tone craps on the Big Muff. Is far more articulate, biting and toneful IMHO having
owned 2 Orig big Muffs before discovering the sonic delights of the Boss Tone.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby T.G.3-55 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Needed to revive this thread guys - importatnt clarification requested:

So did RC used the Boss Tone in combination with a reverse cocked wah for his version of the 'woman tone' ?

I ask because, at the end solo run of Aren't You Glad, you can clearly here Randy go into a high treble thing, like he kicked the wah into the down position...something is going on.

That AYG tone is a mindblower for me - that and his stepfathers dry mixed casual snare taps and bleats...what a song; could listen to it all day - the whole band had a mystic vibe going on.

Hope they make the Hall Of Fame one day...Randy California was an inventive, melodic cat (and you know who stole the template for you know what).
T.G.3-55
Squire

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain