1977 Electric Mistress volume drop

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Re: 1977 Electric Mistress volume drop

Postby shanike on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:39 am

honestly, it seems my board is slightly different, so it's worth the shot - I already have the parts, so it's just a matter of knowing where to put them. I know it's gonna be lower-left part, but I'm trying to work out the exact solder points. In case I don't like the mod, I can remove it anytime. with the volume drop, pedal is unusable, and can't afford another booster stompbox + bypass line.
shanike
Peasant

Postby Shakkal on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Wow, that's an old post! I posted the mod originally. It will definitely alter the sound because the mod is based around letting more frequencies through (especially bass) which are cut on the original EM and are part of the reason why there is a volume drop ... but also give the EM its character. It was suggested to me that I try it as a simple fix ... I'm sorry I can't be of much help about locating the components as I did not execute the mod myself and I'm not really the best at following PCB traces.

About the result, it's a balancing act of how much bass vs volume drop you are willing to accept, or not accept any sound change at all like mentioned earlier. In my setup I really can't use the EM with the vol drop unless it's only for home noodling, and I don't use it as much so as to dedicate a booster to it. For some reason a later attempt of installing a booster inside the unit gave me a very trebly sound that I couldn't stand. I'm sure it was a flaw on the booster circuit that I used but I got fed up and ditched the idea.

If you check the thread dates it's been 4 years since that mod and now I have a Hartman Flanger that works fine for me for the EM thing without noise or volume drop. I did manage to use the EM a fair bit onstage with the mod, though, so if like for me the vol drop is a deal breaker then the mod is worth a shot.
Shakkal
Court Jester

Postby tj7 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:52 am

buckkillr8 - can't PM you as I can't install AOL instant messenger... and this site does not allow you to direct reply to specific posts. So I hope you read this....

Here, you have posted a pic of your pedal board:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44694

I have never seen the type of pedal patch connectors that are used here, before - they look marvellous as they take up such little space. Who makes them and where did you get them from..??

Cheers

Ben
Melbourne, Australia
www.indianstoheaven.com.au
tj7
Peasant

Re: buckkillr8's pedal board

Postby tj7 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 am

buckkillr8 wrote:Another thing I recently did was add a GE-7 to the mistress. As Howard said that you could never get the drop completely gone fromthe original mistress. I added a GE-7 to my board that only works with the mistress and only when the mistress is on. I leave the sliders in a zero position and just use the level "volume" slider.

buckkillr8 - can't PM you as I can't install AOL instant messenger... and this site does not allow you to direct reply to specific posts. So I hope you read this....

I have never seen the type of pedal patch connectors that are used here, before - they look marvellous as they take up such little space. Who makes them and where did you get them from..??

Cheers

Ben
Melbourne, Australia
www.indianstoheaven.com.au
tj7
Peasant

Previous

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain