Fatboost or Micro-amp??

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Fatboost or Micro-amp??

Postby chris69 on Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:55 am

enough of you guy's have tried and or played both.."which one is better and why?". I'am kind of torn on which would work the best for a lead boost.... :)
chris69
Page

Re: Fatboost or Micro-amp??

Postby PinkStrat on Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:17 am

If you every come across a used Carrotron Preamp buy it! That old Carrotron booster was the first disreet transistor design that appeared out of Oakland, CA in the late 70s-early 80s and was distributed first by Zeta Systems then A/DA. It could do a very pure 20 dB boost [with a -120 dB signal-to-noise ratio]. Edward Van Halen bought a few of these way back in 1981 & to my knowledge EVH used them on his primitive "pedalboard" onstage for many years after that '81 sale. Great booster if not the best clean booster ever made IMHO. The Carrotron Preamp was way ahead of its time and the company also made the finest Noise Fader device also...people in the know still use these. :cool: Unfortunately, mine broke! :mad:
PinkStrat
Page

Postby voodoogreg on Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:21 am

Hi pink! he's right about the carotron units<BR>i have played through them, just can't find one! imho the best booster is tc electronic booster +line driver + dist I used it for 12 or so years, totally transparent. OK to the question, i played a micro amp for many yrs too and own a fat boost. i will say fat boost<BR>for several reasons: it's true by pass and the micros do suck tone,it has a great thick sound no matter how you set it, the tone knob on the FB gives it a little more range(i have always said that there are two kind of boost users, the one that wants it to cut and brighten up a solo or the one, like me that likes a little roll off on a solo for a more singing tone)there the subtle tone control works well.VDG
lockhartfx.com The Tone Wizard boost. for the uncompromising player..

"hell of a thing killin a man. you take away everything he has,,,, and everything he's ever gonna have"
voodoogreg
Page

Postby Rick@Skyway on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:26 pm

I have a Carrotron Nosie Fader that I bought new. Was the best out there. No longer working now. I'm going to look into getting it working again.

Funny, I was searching and this thread came up! Carrotron was started by Carl "The Carrot" Margolis.
Rick@Skyway
Page

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain