A "good" Clyde?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

A "good" Clyde?

Postby steveokla on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:10 am

I've been looking for a Clyde wah at a half way decent price for some tine. Is this one stock? Issues?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Vox-Clyde- ... 3ce3b54a09
steveokla
Baron

Re: A "good" Clyde?

Postby JLee on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Pot has been replaced. It's not an Icar either. Icar pot will have the center lug facing the opposite direction of the two outer lugs.
Looks like excess solder flux on the top of the board? Other parts may have been replaced...
JLee
Peasant

Postby steveokla on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 pm

JLee wrote:Pot has been replaced. It's not an Icar either. Icar pot will have the center lug facing the opposite direction of the two outer lugs.
Looks like excess solder flux on the top of the board? Other parts may have been replaced...

Thank you-just the stuff I needed to know. Regards, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby Papa Dog on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:55 pm

dunno what it is about the clyde that is so attractive to you.
but that is why they make both fords and chevys...it's all about tastes and preference.
So...since they are getting so darned hard to find in unmolested condition, why not build yer own?
Castledine Kit might just be the ticket to getting the sound you want.
But...I dunno, cause I have not heard the product. And I have no connection with those guys either.
Just an idea...and these guys have a kit for your 1st gen fuzzface needs.
SmallBear has the transistors (including germanium) needed for a proper 1st edition fuzzface, as well as other bits you might need.
In half the time you have spent looking for an over-priced pristine example of a cheaply made (disposable) effects pedal from days gone by, you can just build a decent clone and make it sound like you want it to. All ya don't get is bragging rights that you have something old which has not been messed with. O'course you might concider the reason that so few of those old pedals are unmolested might be because they used junk cheap components which tended to render them unstable or dis-functional...
I reckon it depends on what yer after, in the long run...the sound or the look? Both? then buy one regardless of whats been done (just get it on the cheap) and replace the guts with a good clone using better than original parts.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby JLee on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 am

Hate to be the one to say there's mojo and magic in the old stuff, but there's some extra grease in the sound of my old Clyde. :twisted:
JLee
Peasant

Postby steveokla on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:17 am

JLee wrote:Hate to be the one to say there's mojo and magic in the old stuff, but there's some extra grease in the sound of my old Clyde. :twisted:

You may hate to be the one, but it needed to be said and I am one of many who concur.
steveokla
Baron

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:10 am

steveokla wrote:
JLee wrote:Hate to be the one to say there's mojo and magic in the old stuff, but there's some extra grease in the sound of my old Clyde. :twisted:

You may hate to be the one, but it needed to be said and I am one of many who concur.

Yep.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Papa Dog on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:33 am

sorry guys,

I just do not think that there is any empirical evidence that those old devices have any special "mojo" at all.
Fact is that the bulk of the late '60s and early '70s effects were and are garbage. Every now and again there would be one which worked as designed or worked correctly or worked, not as designed, but in a "happy accident" where it had something "special" but those were and are the exception rather than the rule.
That so many of them have been repair or altered just reinforces that they seldom worked as intended and were prone to failure.

Not to be disparaging, but I think that if you know the sound you are actually after you could take a modern "clone" using quality selected and matched parts and then "break it" as needed to get that sound and have something much more usable and stable...but then again...maybe it isnt something quantifiable or definable and there is actually some pneumenous quality imparted to those old pedals, either by years of being played in smoky old bars or by some voodoo performed by the builders in the back rooms of music stores where they were built....

Maybe we should try and locate especially good examples of our favorite old school effects and do some testing to determine how they differ from the run o'the mill effects of the same type and time period...there has to be something definable that makes one wah or fuzz sound "better" or "more present" or "greasier" than others of the same kind...
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:29 pm

While I don't think older pedals (or amps) have mystical powers, I can hear a big difference between many older pieces & their newer clones. In some cases, those old parts are no longer available & the sound cannot be recreated without them. In others, the tolerances of those parts (or aging drift) created a special sound. Those pedals were not true bypass either & sometimes the bleed of a certain pedal also enhances your straight-thru sound (wahs, FF, Univibe, Echoplex all do this). Most of us here realize the difference between NOS tubes & modern equivalents--so it is with pedals. That doesn't mean that you can't make a great clone, or perhaps something that will work better for your rig, but there is a difference to my ears. Whether it's good or bad for the individual player is up to them.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby steveokla on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Amen.
Two points. I don't folks, like myself, drawn to old pedals necessarily contend that the components were of the highest quality: frequently, they were not, though it's an overstatement to generalize and dismiss them all as poorly made, toss-away 'garbage'. The fact that many are still around and functioning beautifully after many, many years belies that assertion. In any case, it's the coincidence of parts, many no longer available, that somehow coalesced to produce a tone that players continue to pursue, and the old Fuzz Faces and such are still the standard against which all others are judged. There's a reason why these old pedals are cloned and copied and why they are marketed on the assertion they've captured the sound of the originals.

The fact is, I've been through a lot of clones, copies, boutiques of all kinds--more than I care to count. Many were extremely well made and, indeed, expensive. I would add that many sounded great and were masterpieces of engineering. Do they capture the mystique of the predecessors they endeavor to emulate? Rarely, though some certainly came close. For instance, I've tried many boutique vibes-expensive, well crafted and very good sounding. Their construction, so far as I know, may be far superior to my '70 Univibe in every particular. Do they capture the sound of the Univibe? No. It's as simple as that. If they sound good, why does it matter? I suppose it matters because I grew up hearing the original, and that's what I want to hear from a Vibe--not about better, just about expectations. There's no necessary connection between the quality of components and how captivating the tone that results when they coalesce--there may be something about a particular collection and assembly of mediocre parts that generates a tone that is extremely appealing. The subtle differences between modern knock offs, kits, boutique reproductions and the 'real thing' may not matter to everyone, but it does to me and a bunch of others.
steveokla
Baron

Postby ampdan on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:20 pm

I couldn't agree more. Well said Steve. :cheers:
ampdan
Page

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain