Binson Echorec 2 Repair/Refurbishment

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Binson Echorec 2 Repair/Refurbishment

Postby domesticandpublic on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:12 am

Hi All,

I am trying to find someone to service/repair my Binson Echorec 2, preferably here in the UK. I am based in London, but am willing to travel with it. However, this is turning out to be harder than I thought! I sometimes carry out repairs on my gear myself, pedals etc, however with this unit I'd really prefer I took it to someone who completely knew what they were doing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anyone in the UK that works on these units? I had read that Eric Snowball was the go to guy for years - but has now retired. Is that right? Has anyone on here had their Echorec serviced by anyone else in the UK? Even if someone knows of a repairman who they think could potentially work on one of these, I'd be really grateful for any recommendations, as I'm a little stuck at the moment with finding someone.

All the best, and thanks to anyone that can help.
domesticandpublic
Peasant

Re: Binson Echorec 2 Repair/Refurbishment

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:31 pm

you could probably buy this:
http://www.catalinbread.com/echorec-features

for close to the same and never worry about service again. then sell the original!

i'm getting one as soon as I figure out what to sell first......
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Papa Dog on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Unit_1 wrote: close to the same and never worry about service again. then sell the original!

I am surprised that Unit_1 has not gotten the same flack I got for telling someone in another thread to get a modern build of a timeless classic.

to the OP...do a search for Echorec on this here forum. There are several threads and they are not all in the same place.
I do not recall who was recomended to repair them, and am too lazy today to look it up for ya.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Papa Dog wrote:
Unit_1 wrote: close to the same and never worry about service again. then sell the original!

I am surprised that Unit_1 has not gotten the same flack I got for telling someone in another thread to get a modern build of a timeless classic.

to the OP...do a search for Echorec on this here forum. There are several threads and they are not all in the same place.
I do not recall who was recomended to repair them, and am too lazy today to look it up for ya.

man, i tell ya, once the drummer kicks in it's pretty hard to tell the diff..... :lol: :jam:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Papa Dog on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:10 am

Unit_1 wrote:man, i tell ya, once the drummer kicks in it's pretty hard to tell the diff..... :lol: :jam:

I happen to agree with that sentiment, at least for live applications. And in large venues a lot of other things get lost in the mix and crowd noise.
Thing is, the guys who use and own the 1st gen effects are likely to not believe that anything but the real deal will ever do the trick.
To each their own.
OTOH I would dearly love to have some of my 1st gen effect which I have lost over the years, if for no other purpose than to be able to accurately reproduce them.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:08 pm

I still have a handful of vintage effects. I regret selling off some really good examples of gear. But hey I got $200 for a 59 Gibson LP TV, I really needed that showman cab. :roll: The old stuff I have now I maintain, they cannot be replaced, unique as they are. A few of the new effect examples fit for convenience and they approximate the need good enough for me.
Jamie
Baron

Postby LongerDelay on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Contact Marcello in Italy if you are willing to travel. He knows everything about these. May just be easier to buy his "special Binson" I owned one of these and it was amazing. It is basically New Old Stock.

These vintage ones are a bit of a pain to deal with. I refurbed 2 of them years ago with help from Loylo and Clanger on this forum. To do one of these properly you venture into not just wiring, tubes, voltage and standard amp stuff. You also need to deal with lapping tape heads, ordering really rare parts (usually from Italy), repainting, etc, etc, etc...

Marcello's NOS Special Binson worked perfectly, sounded amazing, cost a bundle.
LongerDelay
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:08 am

I used to have a teac reel to reel with multiple play heads just after the record head, so you could use it for an echorec or a recorder

the solid state pedal I have now is as good and actually a little bit better because there is no signal loss from the tape media

I'm also very disturbed by how damn good my $40 vox headphone amp sounds over my JBL studio monitors - kinda really freaking me out that I'm getting really good AC30 sounds out of a 3 ounce amp (mostly the weight of the 2 aaa batteries)

this is the second generation vox ac30 headphone amp where they fixed all the problems in the first gen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400794501151?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Unit_1 wrote:I used to have a teac reel to reel with multiple play heads just after the record head, so you could use it for an echorec or a recorder

the solid state pedal I have now is as good and actually a little bit better because there is no signal loss from the tape media

I'm also very disturbed by how damn good my $40 vox headphone amp sounds over my JBL studio monitors - kinda really freaking me out that I'm getting really good AC30 sounds out of a 3 ounce amp (mostly the weight of the 2 aaa batteries)

this is the second generation vox ac30 headphone amp where they fixed all the problems in the first gen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400794501151?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Still digging the catalinbread echorec pedal here too.. Ok, I have one of those vox headphone amps, now I'm going to have to find it and give that a spin. Hadn't used that with other than headphones.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm tellin ya Jamie, I was *stunned* at the quality

just be sure to not raise the volume on the amp too much and use the volume on the stereo or you get that nasty SS distortion

Ran the output from my laptop to aux in on my friends Bass headphone amp, ran his output to my aux in, ran my output to the stereo and started Pink Floyd's "The Endless River" which is imnsho a backing track that PF made as a gift to all the musicians for the rest of time, ergo the endless river

I was just stunned at the quality of the signal that came out. Blue my mind (pun intended)

We jammed through that whole sound track and then threw a couple cold ones down and high fived afterwards

:highfive:

Unit_1
Prince

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain