Boss Pro series NS-50 noise suppressor

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Boss Pro series NS-50 noise suppressor

Postby Roy Boltz on Fri May 09, 2014 2:41 am

Hi

I come here not so often as I used to but once in a while I find something worth sharing with fellow vintage amp lovers.
The main reason why we love these amps is for sure, TONE, so this is the main reason why I do once & a while post & share what in my subjective opinion.
Sometimes, a cool piece of gear gets missed just because I just didn't apply an effect or whatever in my signal chain correctly so thus it sits in my closet until I decide to get rid of surplus gear to raise funds only to plug it in once more with a different view just to justify selling it, only to find that now running the thing with best practice yields very satisfying results.
Now selling it is out of the question!

The most recent being the Boss Pro series NS-50 noise suppressor.
This is the stereo half rack version of the NS-2 pedal but with a twist.

I always wondered how to really run this thing with the guitar in out & then the stereo loop provided when I got this unit years ago.
I did a search with little results, even for the manual & it just didn't really share much on line at that time.
I had this since the mid 90's I think, tried it a few times but I never really used it.

I get ready to raise funds so I pull it out of the cave & I go online one more time to see what the market was like & I found out a bit more about how to apply it.
It then occurred to me that the Decimator G String works in the same way where it is triggered by the dry guitar signal & the loop is for the either the loop of the amplifier or a desired loop in front of the amp which is where I am using it now. There is a switch on the back so you can run line level if desired.
I have a Decimator pedal but not the G String & I did a comparison & the Boss killed the noise at a 20% earlier threshold level than the Decimator.
Where the real treasure is, by far, & I do mean this in no small way, is when it is set to where my gain pedals are at the noisiest level to where they used including my WH10 wah which is pretty noisy.
I cascade some of my drives at very low drive levels to obtain the sounds I like for the most part, so at times the noise can get a bit nasty where I have to keep tabs on my guitar volume control.
So, at max gain, I set the threshold to where it is just right where the noise stops, then I remove each level of gain down to clean & to my surprise, no chop, no stutter, no change in sound just nice clean sustain. In fact, when set up & I defeat the NS-50, I can't tell the difference at all.
I had a Boss NS-2 years ago & found the Decimator pedal worked a bit better for my needs at that time but this Boss half rack unit is something that deserves a second look for sure.

So that being said, one has to wonder why the manual was hard to obtain earlier & what the differences are between the Boss & the G String?
I also wonder why, if the Boss works so well why are they not part of the high gain community's must have list?

I guess they have yet to try it?

If you find one cheap? ;)

I was ready to put mine up for a quick 50$ with adaptor.

ISP Pro Rack G-string is about $3-$400 used.

I have to find a way to compare the G String to the Boss & then I'll post what my opinion is.
Until then I'll figure a way to permanently incorporate this into my rig. :D

Cheers
Roy Boltz
King

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain