Bypassing a single pedal: can this be done?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Bypassing a single pedal: can this be done?

Postby steveokla on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 am

I've got a Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher, with which I'm very satisfied, but, alas, I've got more pedals to bypass than audio loops on the switcher to bypass them. I also happen to have a Keeley Looper that works for a single pedal, but it doesn't really do what I need it to, namely, function as a fifth audio loop on the Pedal Switcher. My technical knowledge is pretty pathetic, so I'm not sure what I need can be accomplished. If it can, I was pretty sure someone here will know how to accomplish it. Ok,so here's the idea:

The first effect in my chain is a Shin ei Univibe (well, first after the Turbo Tuner). I don't use the Expression Pedal, mainly because there's no room on my board for it. Even if there were, I'm not sure I'd use it anyway. Instead, I purchased a controller for it--on/off switch and a knob to dial in the rate. It works great and occupies only a tiny bit of space. I want to use the controller to engage and disengage the Vibe, and I'd like the pedal to be in true bypass when not engaged. Those of you who've used these pedals know the signal always runs through the Vibe circuit if it's in your chain and profoundly effects guitar tone and everything that follows. With the Keeley looper, you can leave the effect on and turn it on and off using the Looper on/off switch. When the Looper switch is off, the effect is disengaged and the effect is bypassed-true bypass, that is. When the Looper switch is on, the effect is on. That's what I don't want. That is, I'd like to be able to have true bypass through the Vibe when it's not engaged but I don't want to use the Looper to engage it; rather, I want to be able to turn the Vibe on and off using the controller (the substitute for the Expression Pedal), but have true bypass around the Vibe when it's not engaged. Be more like having a true bypass switch, I suppose. Is there a way (a device?) to do this? Thanks, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Bypassing a single pedal: can this be done?

Postby Ro_S on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello,

I'm not entirely clear from your description, sorry, so I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you need a single true-bypass loop pedal with the univibe effect. Something like this: http://www.brightonion.co.uk/products/Mini-Looper.html
Ro_S
Peasant

Re: Bypassing a single pedal: can this be done?

Postby Banker on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Chris Mahoney makes a true bypass footswitch for a Jordan Bosstone (rather than plug into guitar), it might work for a Vibe. I'm sure he could knock you something up. Nice guy, good comms......so maybe drop him an email with the inquiry.
When only pinstripe will do.
Banker
Squire

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain