Binson Echorec B2 no oscillation

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Binson Echorec B2 no oscillation

Postby Jordane38 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi guys!
A couple of days ago, i finished the restoration of an old Binson Echorec B2.
I rewired it complitely, changed the filter caps, most of the resistors ,the tubes ,cleaned the motor,the heads ect ect.
As a result the unit is working :P , the motor is turning, the magic eye working, i' even got some delay (a little bit distorted but the sound is kinda good).

BUT not a lot a repetitions (let's say 5 or 6), and no oscilation.The Swell pot is working but not as it should : when its on zero, i've got one repetition, the repetitions rise when i turn the pot but at the end of the pot course there is no more raise of the repetitions.When i measure the pot with a multimeter i got 60K°
I've put the feedback trimpot on max, without good results. (58K on the mulimeter).

Do you think the problem might be coming from that?

It's a bit frustrating, beacause the unit sound good, i just want more repetitions and some feedback!
I've got photos if you want!

Ps: sorry for my bad english!
Jordane38
Peasant

Re: Binson Echorec B2 no oscillation

Postby Jordane38 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:15 pm

So today, i unsoldered all the heads, and tested them, the record head seemed bad (400ohm instead of 600ohm), so i swapped the B2 Memory System, with one from a 7T9, now i've got more repetitions (10/12) but they are still a little bit distorted, and there is still no self oscilation.

When the unit was pluggeg i tested the remaining original resistors , some of them are showing me weird values when the unit is working, i'am going to replace them (and the trimmer pots to), i will see if it solve the problem.

If some of you have some advice/ideas it would be great to hear them =)
Jordane38
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain