Binson PE603-T, improvement of the solid state version

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Binson PE603-T, improvement of the solid state version

Postby loylo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

I haven't post anything here for a long long time, but I've seen all the interesting binson threads posted in the meantime. :D

Some of you may remember I have a PE603T (solid state) for something like 10 years (it is waiting to restored since then :oops: ).
It has only one stereo jack that combines input and output, but the output only has the wet (delayed) signal, not the dry signal, while the tube version of the PE603T has input jacks and output jacks where the dry signal is mixed with the echo signal, + a echo only jack. This solid state version is supposed to be used in conjonction of the Binson mixer and the Binson amplifier.
There is a very easy way to improve the solid state PE603T in order to have the same functionnalities as the tube version, so that it can be used with our usual guitar gear. It only needs two parts, a 47K trimmer and a 22K resistor, and the PCB already have the footprint for those parts.
Those parts, circled in red on the schematic below (it is a solid state binson A606, very similar to the PE603), allows to take a part of the input signal, after the input buffer, and mix it at the output, just before the output buffer.

Here are some pics of the PCB where the footprints are localized (sorry for the french explanation, I think it is understandable):

It is also easy to extend this mod to add separated input and output jack, and keep a echo only jack (by taking the echo signal at the wiper of the Echo Volume pot).

I think Clanger may be interested in this mod! :wink:

I go back to my restauration project. I may complete this thread with other mods, such as the impedance adaptation for guitars and a speed control for the motor (my PE603 already has a DC motor) + recording bias control.
loylo
Certified

Re: Binson PE603-T, improvement of the solid state version

Postby Clanger on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi Loylo,

Yes an interesting mod! I made up a simple junction box with mono jacks for input and output with a flying lead with stereo jack on it to plug in the machine.

I don't worry about the 100% wet signal as at home I have a dedicated amp for the output (old valve radio with gram. input!) or for outside work just run the output into a small guitar amp and balance that with my main amp (dry sound).

I usually use a pre-amp output, or a mic on a cab as the signal source.

Cheers Clanger.
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby loylo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am

Oh, I see.
This is indeed a nice way to use these unit, it offers dry/wet stereo panning. That sounds good!

As far as I'm concerned, simpler is better, that's why I want to mod mine with separat input and output with dry+wet signal, sothat I can use it with only one amp.
But I'll keep a stereo in/out jack with echo only, in order to have a "full options" Binson. :)
loylo
Certified

Postby loylo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am

I go on with my photo report of my restoration.

Here is the original mess. I have already changes some wires years ago, but I want to do a cleaner job now.

Without the wires, and the extra DC motor transformer:
loylo
Certified

Postby loylo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am

Complete view of the main PCB, with the trimmer and the mixer resistor footprint:

Taking apart the chassis, and trying to clean it with acetone. I'll have to find a solution to deal with the rusty parts.

loylo
Certified

Postby loylo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 am

I'll also have to clean the PCBs. The dust has solidified and I can't get rid of it by just scratching it with a toothbrush!

To be continued...
loylo
Certified

Postby Clanger on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 am

Good Work!

This is how the rig looked back in about 2005, fed from pre-amp out of the Fender Concert, and output to the combo on the bottom;

"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby loylo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Nice! :D
I suppose one of the two guis is you, the other is part of the road crew helping with all this stuff! :P

Concerning the PCB cleaning, The best results I have is with an electronic contact cleaner spray and a toothbrush. But the PCB are so coated with dust, I have to repete the process 3 or 4 times!

More to come!
loylo
Certified

Postby audioexmachina on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

loylo wrote:Here are some pics of the PCB where the footprints are localized (sorry for the french explanation, I think it is understandable):

I say, French sounds most appropriate here... Did you know it was the language chosen for the very first version to be shipped abroad? English and German came only later. Just published a table with all the localized (language-wise) Echorec front panels.

Brilliant mod thread here, please post more as you proceed. I see you're referencing an A606 schematic. I think I have the schematic for your 603 unit, if you have any use for it just advise and I'll be happy to send it. I haven't yet published the schematics chapter in my Echorec guide but that is in the todo list.
Image AudioExMachina's Echorec Bible: visit the complete Binson Echorec catalog at http://audioexmachina.wordpress.com/the-audioexmachinas-echorec-bible/
audioexmachina
Peasant

Postby xavideep on Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Loylo,
I'm trying to put the trimmer and the resistor in my PE 603T-6 but I don't know how.I can't understand the schematics.
Can you send some pics with the trimmer and the resistor instaled? Also if you can put some arrows or explanation on the picture will be better to me.
Thank you very much.
xavideep
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain