Anything new going on in the world of stomp tuners?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Anything new going on in the world of stomp tuners?

Postby steveokla on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 am

I've had a Peterson SS 2 for years. It does a pretty nice job, but I forget to pull my guitar cord out of it on a regular basis and run down the battery. Other than that, and the fact that it's on the large side, taking up some real estate, I can't complain.

That said, I casually looked over a few of the 'new' models (new to me, I should say), such as the Turbo, I think it is, which, I'm given to understand is a 'true strobe', versus the software-created 'strobe' effect in the Peterson. I think Planet Waves has some kind of strobe pedal as well.

Was wondering if anyone's fooled with some of these, done some comparing with the Peterson SS 2, etc. Would appreciate your sharing your experience.
steveokla
Baron

Re: Anything new going on in the world of stomp tuners?

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 am

i use a power brick in my peddle board, goodbye batteries!

on my wireless body pack i use rechargeable lithium ion 9v batteries. so when i do leave it running i just pop in another charged battery and slap the other in the "to be recharged" stack. these things are incredible. they last like 5 times longer than a regular 9v and after 6 years all mine still work perfectly.

got 'em on eBay.... from hong kong, *cheap* (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=9v+ ... &_osacat=0)

oh, and i like the korg pitchback - auto muting when you tune so no one even knows you're tuning.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby steveokla on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 am

Unit_1 wrote:i use a power brick in my peddle board, goodbye batteries!

on my wireless body pack i use rechargeable lithium ion 9v batteries. so when i do leave it running i just pop in another charged battery and slap the other in the "to be recharged" stack. these things are incredible. they last like 5 times longer than a regular 9v and after 6 years all mine still work perfectly.

got 'em on eBay.... from hong kong, *cheap* (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=9v+ ... &_osacat=0)

oh, and i like the korg pitchback - auto muting when you tune so no one even knows you're tuning.

Thanks much--I'll check out both. Regards, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby bigtomrodney on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 am

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but here are some cheap and interesting tuners:
  • Korg Pitchblack - true bypass tuner, small size and accurate to about 3 cents I believe
  • TC Electronic Poly Tune - this pedal is again true bypass but allows you to check the tuning on all of your strings simultaneously. Has a cool display indicating the state of all 6 strings.

Both are very reasonable and compact pedals that are "good enough".
bigtomrodney
Court Jester

Postby sickest beast on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:24 am

i have the TCE polytune.

pretty great. I can tune to C# standard, strum all my strings and tune.
sickest beast
Peasant

Postby Britishampfan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 pm

I have a sonic research and I love love love it. True strobe built well and so easy to use and accurate. I think I posted a review on here.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby steveokla on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check them out.
steveokla
Baron

Postby sthebluesman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25 pm

I like to switch between the "sweetened" tunings on my Strobo-Flip on the fly. I mainly use the guitar and dobro tunings and also the drop/key option so to do this on a stomp tuner would mean bending down a lot. The Strobo-Flip comes with a mic stand mount which puts it within reach. I just come out of my "tuner out" on my amp switcher. You can set up a timer so the tuner turns off after a set time to save batteries.
sthebluesman
Page

Postby steveokla on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 am

sthebluesman wrote:I like to switch between the "sweetened" tunings on my Strobo-Flip on the fly. I mainly use the guitar and dobro tunings and also the drop/key option so to do this on a stomp tuner would mean bending down a lot. The Strobo-Flip comes with a mic stand mount which puts it within reach. I just come out of my "tuner out" on my amp switcher. You can set up a timer so the tuner turns off after a set time to save batteries.

Thanks much, brother. I've got the regular old Strobo Stomp which is, in point of fact, a good tuner. I've seen the Strobo-Flip in ads, but that's about it. Could you explain a little more about the 'sweetened tunings"? I thing the Strobo Stomp has some feature like that, but it requires fiddling with the little toggle switches inside the tuner, so it's nothing I've fooled with. What you're describing with the Strobo Flip might also be something altogether different. I really like the idea of a mic stand mount.
steveokla
Baron

Postby 2 guest(s) on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:37 am

Peterson has a long description of it on their website...to me it makes subtle tuning adjustments to each string so the G string stays in tune no matter if it's a barre chord or an open chord...or if you're playing open chords in the key of G and then in the key of A. I really like using it!
mr.danny wrote:+1 We're all going the way of speaker cones anyway :cheers:
2 guest(s)
Squire

Postby steveokla on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:20 am

Thanks much, I'll check it out on the site.
steveokla
Baron

Postby 2 guest(s) on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm

If the tuner you have does sweetened tunings open it up flip some switches and try it for yourself.
mr.danny wrote:+1 We're all going the way of speaker cones anyway :cheers:
2 guest(s)
Squire

Postby sthebluesman on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 pm

steveokla wrote:
sthebluesman wrote:I like to switch between the "sweetened" tunings on my Strobo-Flip on the fly. I mainly use the guitar and dobro tunings and also the drop/key option so to do this on a stomp tuner would mean bending down a lot. The Strobo-Flip comes with a mic stand mount which puts it within reach. I just come out of my "tuner out" on my amp switcher. You can set up a timer so the tuner turns off after a set time to save batteries.

Thanks much, brother. I've got the regular old Strobo Stomp which is, in point of fact, a good tuner. I've seen the Strobo-Flip in ads, but that's about it. Could you explain a little more about the 'sweetened tunings"? I thing the Strobo Stomp has some feature like that, but it requires fiddling with the little toggle switches inside the tuner, so it's nothing I've fooled with. What you're describing with the Strobo Flip might also be something altogether different. I really like the idea of a mic stand mount.

You should check out the manual online. It has quite a few buttons for programing and switching between tunings. I have mine set for the "guitar" sweetened tuning when I turn it on. If I want to tune my other guitar down to Eb, I just hit the drop/key once down for 1/2 step and I'm in the "guitar" sweetened tuning for Eb. You can also program your own sweetened tunings and save them. Some of them are Peterson proprietary so they won't show the adjustment to each note but others are not and they have a chart that shows how much they adjusted each note by how many cents. The Dobro sweetened tuning (DBO) is a must when I am tuning my Tele for slide.
sthebluesman
Page

Postby steveokla on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 am

I'll do it for sure-the features you describe have Gott attention. Nany thanks
steveokla
Baron

Postby firebirdjake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello, I have been very pleased with the TC Electronic polytune that I've been using for the last year and a half or so. Great visibility in various lighting situations and simple to use- the ability to strum all the strings and zero in on the "bad actor" is surprisingly handy.
That said, the Peterson tuners have always looked pretty interesting to me. How easy is the display to see in strange stage lighting, If you please?
Be well, Jake.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain