What replacement pot for colorsound wah?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

What replacement pot for colorsound wah?

Postby white whale on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 am

Just picked up an old 70's colorsound wah with inductor and tropical fish
However the pot is scratchy as can be and I would like to replace it
What is the best replacement pot? It should be 100k right?
Also read its a linear pot?
What would happen with an audio taper or icar pot?
Thanks
white whale
Page

Re: What replacement pot for colorsound wah?

Postby fernieite on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Congrats! I love my old grey colorsound wah.
Contact Stu at Castledine Electronics. He'll be able to help you.
www.wah-wah.co.uk
fernieite
Court Jester

Postby Pauls R Best on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't think wah pots use a linear taper. I believe they use what I've heard referred to as an S taper.
Pauls R Best
Page

Postby white whale on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah normally they dont use a linear pot but I think the colorsound is supposed to given its long throw and that the circuit compensates for the linear?
Anyone know the definitive answer?
If it uses a linear pot what would be the negative effects of using an audio pot or s curve etc?
white whale
Page

Postby JLee on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 pm

From Stu's wah mod page(www.wah-wah.co.uk)
You can use any old pot, but cheap carbon pots will wear out in no time and standard log/lin resistance tapers aren't ideal for use in a wah. Commercial wah pots have a kink in the taper, where the resistance suddenly shoots up within a small degree of rotation. This kink is the point where the bass-treble transition is most noticeable, and which makes the wah so expressive.

A standard log (audio) taper pot will produce a sweep which is mostly treble, unless you sacrifice the high frequencies to get some low end - a pedal with an extra long throw helps. A linear taper pot will sweep more quickly from treble to bass, but it's a smooth sweep and not very expressive. For a "correct" Vox/Crybaby wah pot, there are a few options, but they are relatively expensive. The better ones are modelled on the resistance taper of the ICAR pots found in '60s Vox wahs. I have my own ICAR type pots, which I use in my own wahs and also supply as a replacement part.

Colorsounds use a cranked linkage to get a non-linear sweep from a linear pot. I recommend Bourns conductive plastic pots for these. Unfortunately, they're not available as a dual gang version for wah-swell pedals.

The grey JMI Wahs also use a linear taper pot. Using a audio taper pot does indeed give you more lows to highs in the sweep. The Colorsounds have such a long throw...might be interesting to experiment with a audio taper in the Colorsound. Bourns makes a suitable replacement. Bourns is what Stu used in his grey JMI clones, in addition to the current Sola Sound/Castledine Reissues.
JLee
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain