Best treble booster for vintage Vox AC-30

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Best treble booster for vintage Vox AC-30

Postby Vox63 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm looking to get a treble booster that will work with my '63 AC-30. Which one is the best sounding? It seems there are quite a few clones on the market.
Vox63
Peasant

Re: Best treble booster for vintage Vox AC-30

Postby vez on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 am

Vox63 wrote:I'm looking to get a treble booster that will work with my '63 AC-30. Which one is the best sounding? It seems there are quite a few clones on the market.

Get a Rangemaster with a Germanium transistor. They sound lots better than the silicon transistors for this.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the re-issue Rangemaster unless you got lots of money. A cheaper boutique model will sound just as good.
I make pedals as a sideline.
PM me if you're want more info.
-Rick
vez
Squire

Postby brandon_cur on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I use an HBE Germania. It is a Rangemaster circuit that uses Germanium trannies. It really helps nail great tones a la Mick Ronson, Marc Ford, Marc Bolan, etc. It's pretty inexpensive compared to others, true bypass, handmade in US, and it has never had any issues.

When you plug it in, make sure you toy with the volume knob! When everything is dimed out you get a cool nasal squawkin' tone - but when you roll off a bit of volume (8-9 on vol knob w/ 50s wiring) is where the sweet meltdown crunch is at. No cocked wah sound and damned explosive harmonics.

FWIW, it also has a toggle switch to bring it into a fullrange boost - but at that point you're losing the rangemaster vibe.
brandon_cur
Peasant

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Just my 2 cents.

If by chance you can get an older Ibanez WH10 to try out, you may be surprised how good it is when used as a treble boost or any EQ type boost for that matter.
I use mine this way into an AC10 with the resonance knob on the lowest setting & toe forward on the WH10 wah pedal.
It doesn't offer much boost but the EQ is rather sweet & musical on this wah pedal.
The WH10 offers many options & has many cool uses.

Cheers. :cheers:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Pauls R Best on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Have you considered building your own? Check out what one of the members on the BYOC forum made.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... =8&t=38456
Pauls R Best
Page

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain