Marshall Supafuzz

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Marshall Supafuzz

Postby jkleban on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 am

OK... I am not an electronics expert but I was wondering who makes the closest clone effect pedal for a MARSHALL SUPAFUZZ

I know that back in the sixties there were a ton of fuzz boxes that are close... VOX TONEBENDER, SOLA TONEBENDER, etc....

But I was wondering if anyone with more expertise than myself can tell me which JMI effect pedal is an exact duplicate of the Marshall Supafuzz?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
jkleban
Peasant

Re: Marshall Supafuzz

Postby devnulljp on Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 am

The JMI stuff isn't really that authentic or great -- the cases sure look good though, but I'd hit up Stuart Castledine for a great Supafuzz clone.
http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/
Ian Sherwen / Ghost effects will also build you a great fuzz. There are a lot of other talented builders around, most of whom hang out on the DAM forum.
Canada, we put the "u" in satire
devnulljp
Court Jester

Postby shakti on Tue May 15, 2012 12:12 pm

+1 for the Castledine Supa Mk I. I've been through my share of various Tonebender replicas (including a D*A*M Professional Mk II w/OC81Ds and a JMI Mk I), but this one wins out for me. It's based on a very rare prototype Supafuzz though, which is more like a Mk I 3-transistor design, but with fixed fuzz and a filter/crude tone control. It has that sputtery, raspy Mk I character, but the filter control can take it very close to Professional Mk II territory. The JMI Mk I had a fantastic, woody midrange, but unfortunately it was kind of noisy and not biased optimally.
shakti
Knight

Postby spangled99 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:04 pm

There is a guy on ebay selling nice looking populated boards for Supafuzz replicas - just no box, jacks, pots, knobs, battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Marshal ... 20c676d447
spangled99
Baron

Postby JLee on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Depends on which generation of Supa Fuzz.

The early Sola Sound produced versions were MKIIs in a Marshall enclosure. Differences were only aesthetic.

When Marshall took over production, they changed some parts values. It's kind of like a short circuit board MKII with a bigger output cap value giving it more bass. In my limited experience, the Supa Fuzzes seem to also have more midrange. Not sure what is contributing to the extra midrange.

A lot of the cloners, JMI included, followed the Fuzz Central schematic, which added a cap to the input side that isn't in the actual pedal.
JLee
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain