ABY Box

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

ABY Box

Postby conchmariner on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:05 pm

What do you all recommend? Thanks.
conchmariner
Squire

Re: ABY Box

Postby RickJL on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Loopmaster
RickJL
Squire

Postby sickest beast on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:42 am

If you only need a simple passive ABY box, build your own.

If you live in the US, you can order the parts for a simple ABY with LEDs for about $25 bucks and put it together yourself.

Great project, tons of fun.

If you need an active ABY with phase reversal, buffer, etc. I'd say go for a Lehle as they seem to have amp switchers down to a science.
sickest beast
Peasant

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:45 am

I've got the Radial unit and while it's not the cheapest, I have zero noise issues and the tone loss is minimal.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby jaywalker on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Which Radial unit are you using Mr Arkadian? I've been considering the Big Shot ABY amp switcher (my intended primary use). I don't see why this wouldn't work as a general aby and I'm thinking (maybe wrongly?) that it could work as a channel switcher on a Fender amp w/reverb with reverse phase (?) to run (A or B) or (A + B by setting reverse phase on one channel ??).
jaywalker
Baron

Postby sthebluesman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

I've have only owned one, the Framptone 3 Banger. It is a wonderful switcher with absolutely no tone loss no matter how long your cords are. It has all the bells and whistles, i.e. buffer, ground lifts, phase switches, silent switching, and tuner out. You can hook up 4 amps if you use the tuner out.
sthebluesman
Page

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:04 pm

jaywalker wrote:Which Radial unit are you using Mr Arkadian? I've been considering the Big Shot ABY amp switcher (my intended primary use). I don't see why this wouldn't work as a general aby and I'm thinking (maybe wrongly?) that it could work as a channel switcher on a Fender amp w/reverb with reverse phase (?) to run (A or B) or (A + B by setting reverse phase on one channel ??).

I'm using the JX-2 Switchbone. All A+B boxes (or anything besides a straight cord) affect your sound, but the Switchbone has a drag control that lets you minimize this aspect. It also has a mid booster, tuner out, ground and polarity switches. I have also used it as a channel switcher for older blackface amps and it works perfectly fine with no noise or phase issues.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby ziess on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 pm

The BigShot is ok but really needs to be right behind a good (great, preferably) buffer if you're using the isolation transformers and want it to sound good.
I use a Lehle Little Dual and, as others have said, it's about perfect for what I use it for.

Tommy.
ziess
Page

Postby vez on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:07 pm

I must be missing something here.
Some of you mention buffers and tone /signal loss.
Is not an ABY box just a break-before-make single pole dual toggle switch that grounds the unused jack?
How in the world would you loose signal or need a buffer?
Please enlighten me here.
Thx!
vez
Squire

Postby ziess on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah it is, until you start encountering ground loops when using two amps that are grounded (as all amps ought to be nowadays). Then you need to start thinking about isolating the outputs from each other. This is best done with transformers, some of which are lossy - and sound bad without a buffer in the chain - (as in the BigShot, in my experience), some of which are not (as in the Lehle, again in my experience).
I've gradually worked my way up from one I made with some switches and jacks through stuff like the Radial and now I'm on to the Lehle. If I could do it all again I'd buy the Lehle from the start!

Tommy.
ziess
Page

Postby vez on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:59 am

ziess wrote:Yeah it is, until you start encountering ground loops when using two amps that are grounded (as all amps ought to be nowadays). Then you need to start thinking about isolating the outputs from each other. This is best done with transformers, some of which are lossy - and sound bad without a buffer in the chain - (as in the BigShot, in my experience), some of which are not (as in the Lehle, again in my experience).
I've gradually worked my way up from one I made with some switches and jacks through stuff like the Radial and now I'm on to the Lehle. If I could do it all again I'd buy the Lehle from the start!

Tommy.

Ahhh! That makes sense, thanks Tommy
vez
Squire

Postby steveokla on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Skip Simoons offers a non-nonsense ABY at about $80. It's got two switches, arranged so that you can easily stomp both at once, permitting you to use one amp, the other or both in unison. No light, no batteries, no bells and whistles, but superbly built, no hum, etc.
steveokla
Baron

Postby Roy Boltz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:04 pm

I use the Bigshot as it is reasonably priced for what you get in terms of quality components inside & bullet proof housing & I see them all the time for sale, used & "cheap".
Like what was mentioned the Bigshot is passive & it will lose some signal when using both outputs at the same time but I would find it hard to tell the difference when just using either outputs alone but when using both, a buffer is required to obtain a split with a good proper signal for the amplifiers.
The iso transformer in the Bigshot is as good as it gets.
I used the Switchbone before but found the buffer redundant as the" boost" from my Big Muff's buffer was always on.
It realy depends or your needs & billfold which switcher is best for you.
Different buffers do have an effect on the sound regardless on how little it is, which is why I can't seem to warm up to Boss single stomp boxes.

Cheers.
Roy Boltz
King

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain