Binson Echorec B2 help

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Binson Echorec B2 help

Postby blacksheep on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 am

Hello, i recently bought an echorec b2 and am in the process of restoring it. It's in decent shape and the wiring actually is good but i'm having a few problems that i'm hoping some of you folks can help with. i feel a bit stupid for saying this as i make a living fixing amps but where are the heads and on this schematic? i'm guessing that the switching system was omitted and that all five heads are represented as the inductor symbol in the right corner, but i just want to make sure that's what's going on. i'm also hoping to find where the regeneration circuit is. i am getting only one echo for each head even after cleaning and adjusting them so i assume there's something going on with the regeneration circuit. Secondly, my drum is in looks pretty good with the exception of one scratch. Is it possible to sand/polish a scratch out on these or do you need to have them completely rewound?

Here's the schematic
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/echorec-b2
blacksheep
Peasant

Re: Binson Echorec B2 help

Postby blacksheep on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, after some voltage testing i got the regeneration working and even get oscillation now. Turned out to be a few bad resistors. For other echorec owners, i will tell you that i'm finding bad resistors everywhere in this thing. They all measure correctly but as soon as the power is turned on they jump into the megaohms. For the sake of reliability i'm probably going to replace them all along with the caps and wiring. Still looking for advice on the small scratch on the drum. Not sure how these drums are made but i'm guessing that they are wrapped with wire, cut down on a lathe and polished. Which makes me think that they could be smoothed out again but i'd like to hear from some one who knows more about it.
blacksheep
Peasant

Postby audioexmachina on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:20 pm

blacksheep wrote: Still looking for advice on the small scratch on the drum. Not sure how these drums are made but i'm guessing that they are wrapped with wire, cut down on a lathe and polished. Which makes me think that they could be smoothed out again but i'd like to hear from some one who knows more about it.

Hello blacksheep, I'd recommend not to try polishing the scratch, the wire is thin as a hair and it will easily unwind if you break it. Or, if you make it even thinner by polishing it's likely to break over time, due to friction with the heads.

I'd rather observe the shape and direction of the scratch. If it doesn't traverse the full drum surface, in vertical direction, an option would be to move ALL the heads to a different area of the surface, so that the scratch be out of their path. The effect of a severe scratch on the drum is a repeated low frequency "thud", if you can't hear it in playback mode (input not required) then the scratch is no problem (still, the wire may break at the scatched area, due to friction, over time).
Image AudioExMachina's Echorec Bible: visit the complete Binson Echorec catalog at http://audioexmachina.wordpress.com/the-audioexmachinas-echorec-bible/
audioexmachina
Peasant

Postby WBAudio on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Keep that drum well lubricated in order to avoid deeper damage since it could be already weakened.
WBAudio
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain