MXR Custom Comp vs. Dyna Comp

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

MXR Custom Comp vs. Dyna Comp

Postby mirrorman on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Wondering if any of you folks out there have experience with the MXR Custom Comp or Dyna Comp.
I'm thinking about adding a compressor to my rig, but have very limited knowledge about these pedals and nobody here has a Custom Comp that I can check out. Dyna Comp is nice, but I am somewhat intrigued by the Custom from the literature I have read.
Any thoughts about which you like better and why?

Thanks for your input.
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Re: MXR Custom Comp vs. Dyna Comp

Postby Britishampfan on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm

I have an older Dyna comp. I love that thing it`s great as a boost and for low gain clean picking I can dial in just enough squeeze and still keep the tone I like. it works best on single coil guitars.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Jamie on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am

I picked up an Analogman 3 knob Comprossor from a fellow board member years ago. Nothing to compare it to, but it's extremely transparent, good boost too. I guess it's a Ross comp clone. Definitely worth a test drive.

http://effectsfreak.com/media/product_photo/500a5e9cdeaf9698d1be1156a446302f.png
Jamie
Baron

Postby Britishampfan on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 am

Oh you reminded me that I have tried a Ross with a strat through a tweed bassman. Mindblowing sound. More aggressive compression but more clear.

The MXR colors the sound but in a way that I like.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby gigant0r on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:43 am

Jamie wrote:I picked up an Analogman 3 knob Comprossor from a fellow board member years ago. Nothing to compare it to, but it's extremely transparent, good boost too. I guess it's a Ross comp clone. Definitely worth a test drive.

http://effectsfreak.com/media/product_photo/500a5e9cdeaf9698d1be1156a446302f.png

Yeah, same here. I've got the large box CompRossor and that thing isn't going anywhere from my board. I love having attack function on comp pedal.

MXR Custom Comp is using the same CA3080 chip like the old Ross and Dynacomp compressors, they have been unavalible for some time, I guess they have found 'em again. Never tried it though but I'm guessing it works great.
gigant0r
Baron

Postby mirrorman on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I actually picked up an MXR Super Comp when I was in the big smoke earlier this month. I tried it side by side with the Dyna Comp, and it sounded very similar with the addition of being able to adjust pick attack. I also found the Dyna Comp to be quite noisy, where the Super Comp was pretty much dead quiet even when sitting with a Tele about three feet away from a Deluxe. Maybe this was a defect or something in the Dyna Comp. Of course, it was at music store volume and the real test was when I got it home. Very happy with the purchase, it's one of those things that makes you wonder why you didn't do this 30 years ago! Really brings out the tone on the single coils as you said BAF.

:jam:
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby B McGrath on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 am

mirrorman wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.
I actually picked up an MXR Super Comp when I was in the big smoke earlier this month. I tried it side by side with the Dyna Comp, and it sounded very similar with the addition of being able to adjust pick attack. I also found the Dyna Comp to be quite noisy, where the Super Comp was pretty much dead quiet even when sitting with a Tele about three feet away from a Deluxe. Maybe this was a defect or something in the Dyna Comp. Of course, it was at music store volume and the real test was when I got it home. Very happy with the purchase, it's one of those things that makes you wonder why you didn't do this 30 years ago! Really brings out the tone on the single coils as you said BAF.

:jam:

I had an old script logo dyna, as you say, bloody noisy. I like my modded Boss CS3 with single coils, would like to try out the MXR super though.
Mate, can you turn that thing down?
B McGrath
Certified

Postby Thames on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi,

I had both the SuperComp and the Custom Comp.

The CustomComp is in a different class, much much better. A keeper/sleeper for me.
If you're going thru Hell, keep going!
- Sir Winston Churchill

Gibson SG Std / Edwards JPLP / HW1 Strat /Dano 59DC / Doubleneck Agile Valkyrie / Warmoth Tele
Marshall SuperLead / Hiwatt DR504
Lots of effects.... and a theremin and some bows for Zeppelin tunes!
Thames
Certified

Postby mirrorman on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

Thames,
Do you find with the Custom Comp that you have to change settings on the internal pots for different guitars, or is it pretty much set it and forget it? One of the things that concerned me about that unit was having to open it to change settings whenever I changed guitars. But I never did get to test drive one, none of the stores I went to had it in stock.
mirrorman
Squire

Postby Thames on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:42 pm

I think it is more a matter of personal preference at this point.

I opened mine only 1 time when I got it and I use strat, LP, tele, sg... However I'll probably tweak it more soon but I dont plan open it each week... :)
If you're going thru Hell, keep going!
- Sir Winston Churchill

Gibson SG Std / Edwards JPLP / HW1 Strat /Dano 59DC / Doubleneck Agile Valkyrie / Warmoth Tele
Marshall SuperLead / Hiwatt DR504
Lots of effects.... and a theremin and some bows for Zeppelin tunes!
Thames
Certified

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain