Most expensive Marshall ever????

This forum is for those who like to watch eBay auctions and those who want to alert the users of a specific auction.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum as a spam to promote your own auction unless you have over 100 posts. We ask that comments about auctions be kept civil as well as respectful. If your a business and would like to use our forum to promote your ebay auctions, please contact us directly before promoting auctions on this forum.

Most expensive Marshall ever????

Postby LD50 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:27 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111385123541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Hendrix Dickinson 45/100 went for £25,000.

The Vendor has been advised by Marshall that this amp is worth £50,000.

It is Ser. 6501 (first 100w amp of 1965) so probably is number 1 production 100watter, but what is it worth? :wink:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: Most expensive Marshall ever????

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:37 pm

an interesting story

certainly out of my league at £50,000.00

:shock: :roll: cough cough....

Hi and welcome to my auction. Please read everything I have to say here about this item before you pass judgement. I fully expect 10 or more messages saying that this is not a rare amp, it's 'just' a PA head and all the rest. If you know what you are looking at however, then this is far from the case. I have spoken to several experts and had this head appraised by the head of all things vintage at Marshall in Milton Keynes where I went twice whilst it was worked on. The story of these particular amps is published in Michael Doyle's 50 years of Marshall book and I've spoken to him personally regarding it. The value I have put on this amp has been verified by Marshall themselves so I can certify I am neither a fool nor a dreamer!

According to leading sources there were 12 of these amplifiers made. Apparently 4 of this particular model are know to still exist. This amp serial is 6501 which according to several experts I've spoken to, could make it the first 100 Watt Marshall ever made. Why? Because it uses 2 RS transformers to develop 100 Watts before Marshall could find anybody to make a 100 Watt transformer. It's this early set up that makes it so rare. I have been told by various sources that this amp was made in 1965 because by late 1965, the 100 Watt transformer had been introduced. The 100 Watters were apparently made at the demand of Pete Townshend who wanted a louder amp. I have also been told that it is likely that this very amp went to a leading name band of the time although I have no evidence of this as yet. What is interesting is that 2 of the channels have 'Treble' and 'Bass' stuck in Dymo over them to ape a later Superlead, quite probably carried out by Marshall at the request of a customer. Was it Pete?! We'll never know as not only did Marshall keep no records before 1992, but this amp is so rare they didn't even have a schematic on record - they redrew one from my amp! I was also told that this very model is still used by Malcolm Young on stage today as he loves the sound for guitar.

So what is original and what's not? As you can see the amp currently has an IEC socket fitted, however I have the original Bulgin and it's going back in imminently. All 4 power valves were replaced by Marshall (KT66) but I have the 4 originals. The preamp valves are original. Also a couple of leaking caps were replaced for safety and so the amp runs properly. I also have those. Other than that Marshall are happy the amp is as it left the factory. It has an aluminium chassis that was hand made by Jim Marshall himself. Due to the weight of those transformers, this has started to split at one end. Marshall made up a bracket to support the chassis as you can see in the pictures. No additional holes were made anywhere. I was told they did a similar mod on Gary Moore's Bluesbreaker as all aluminium chassis eventually crack. I have pictures inside the amp too of course and can mail them to serious parties. I am happy to let people view the amp by appointment. It is in fabulous condition for the age and it's also worth noting that Marshall have seen a fake of this amp before..... Testament to it not being a run of the mill piece of kit.

Why am I selling? The amp is from my private collection but really is too nice and too valuable to use live. I'm hoping it'll go to someone for whom it completes a Marshall collection or to a vintage amp nut or pro musician. This is a true piece of Marshall and British music history.

If you are serious about this amp, let's talk before you press Buy It Now or anything. As with all Ebay messaging, if you haven't got anything nice to say, best don't say anything at all!

Thanks

Oliver.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Ned B on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

It would be interesting to get the full history of that amp's life. Like a lot of people I have made note of the duals that have popped up over the years. This one is one of the cleaner examples. I got a later one from Norway (fellow board member) a few years ago which I do like, but to get it I had to let 6657 go (also to a fellow board member) which was one of the first single OT 100 PAs. It had the exact same cab as this one with the Vox strip with script logo which makes me think this all happened over a fairly short period of time. The amp that may prove be really rare (and would love to find) is a 4 input early single OT 100 in that 6650 range. I have never seen one other than a beat one with the RS PT changed.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Alnico on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:47 am

I don't believe it's the first one. I would suggest 6503 is the earliest to have surfaced to date, based on the oddball rectifier diode and filter cap arrangement. 6501 appears closer in layout to my 6566, with it having a voltage selector (these two being the only duals to have one, AFAIK).
Alnico
Knight

Postby STRAT-MAN1976 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am

Hi, why would you say 6503 is older than 6501? doesnt make any sense to me, why would they put the serial numbers on at random? also note that 6501 has only 2 vents in the cabinet rather than 6503 having 3 vents, this says to me that 6501 is earlier than 6503 as they must have put an extra vent in the cabinet due to 6501 getting too hot? therefore a slightly later model, also their were a couple of techs building these and maybe the layout were different for this reason? just a thought!
STRAT-MAN1976
Peasant

Postby Alnico on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 am

STRAT-MAN1976 wrote:Hi, why would you say 6503 is older than 6501? doesnt make any sense to me, why would they put the serial numbers on at random? also note that 6501 has only 2 vents in the cabinet rather than 6503 having 3 vents, this says to me that 6501 is earlier than 6503 as they must have put an extra vent in the cabinet due to 6503 getting too hot? therefore a slightly later model, just a thought!

The numbered panels were glued to the chassis before they built the amp. They didn't necessarily assemble them in serial number order. The vast majority of JTM100s with brass vents have only two, covering serial numbers up to the 7000s; I only know of a couple in the 650x range with three vents. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Marshall thought he could save some money by only using two...

I know of 8 or 9 JTM100s with the same L-shaped filter cap/rectifier board as 6501 and this layout continued with the first single OT amps. 6503 has a unique layout with unused space on the board, and it isn't notched to clear the valve sockets. This suggests to me that it's an earlier iteration and they were still working out the design.
Alnico
Knight

Postby STRAT-MAN1976 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Is there any hard evidence to back this up? or is it just a guess? surely they wouldnt be building more than one amplifier at a time? therefore they would choose 6501 panel to stick on to the chassis first?? just intrigued to know your source of info?
STRAT-MAN1976
Peasant

Postby superstar on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Nice amp and interesting history but good luck finding someone willing to pay £50,000 for it. That is probably the insurance valuation that Marshall gave him. As has been mentioned many times on here already - completely different thing entirely to a sale price valuation.
superstar
Knight

Postby STRAT-MAN1976 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm

The insurance value was actually between £60-£75,000 cheers
STRAT-MAN1976
Peasant

Postby Ned B on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Bear in mind that these back panels are from the 50W model from which the 100w chassis evolved. It is likely these panels were made and pre stamped for serial number in batches, so establishing chronology from this method would be pretty faulty. Since the 102-84 OT was released by Drake in November of 1965 and the first known dual OT examples bore late '65 traits I would say all of the duals were made over a short period of time, even the ones in 66XX range.
Last edited by Ned B on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned B
Baron

Postby appetite4distortion on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Cool amp for sure, but me thinks up to when no firm proof= no big bucks.
People give educated guesses.
Proud to be loud
appetite4distortion
Certified

Postby STRAT-MAN1976 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:22 pm

The amplifier was valued upon its rarity and not down to who it has links to if anyone
STRAT-MAN1976
Peasant

Postby Dai on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 am

looks cool but crazy not to have high res chassis pics esp. for that kind of asking price (IMO).
Dai
Baron

Postby STRAT-MAN1976 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:13 am

They are available on request
STRAT-MAN1976
Peasant

Postby appetite4distortion on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:11 am

To answer OP question - what is worth?
I know for sure other two 65 dual OT, one in Italy andone in Germany, the former nowhere even remotely approached the 5 digits (in EUR). Also people here had few so they know. If this was really the first time Marshall guys saw a dual OT amp in person, that would explain the appraisal.
To me the only big bucks multiplier for the very healty collector could be firm proof #1 AND Pete's.
Proud to be loud
appetite4distortion
Certified

Next

Return to eBay Watch