'67 Plexi JMP - block end

This forum is for those who like to watch eBay auctions and those who want to alert the users of a specific auction.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum as a spam to promote your own auction unless you have over 100 posts. We ask that comments about auctions be kept civil as well as respectful. If your a business and would like to use our forum to promote your ebay auctions, please contact us directly before promoting auctions on this forum.

'67 Plexi JMP - block end

Postby LD50 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:21 pm

If this is as half as good as mine of same type and era then you should grab this :thumbsup: :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARSHALL-1967-PLEXI-JMP-50-WATT-JTM-45-transitional-modal-ORIGINAL-60S-/271271345425?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3f29083d11#ht_560wt_1172

Mine is this one:
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101591

The auction one has added screen resistors, changed switches and 16uF in preamp (all the ones I have seen have 32uF on the board) but is in all round good condition!
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: '67 Plexi JMP - block end

Postby Alnico on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Interesting. Looks like the mustards have been replaced, given the nF markings, though they are showing some hours' use.
Alnico
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 pm

What's the brown specks splattered around the mains trannie frame and on the chassis near the switches ?
Red wire going from under the board to the Bulgin socket has a black rubber sleeve over part of it ?
Small resistor near the .1 Mustard has its leads soldered for longer length.
Seems to be a lot of re-soldering here and there on joints.
No visible date codes on the mustards from what I can see, most had one or two showing

What would cause the white back panel to warp so badly ? Not seen that before on any other models from this era or earlier.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby LD50 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:45 pm

The screens wiring was obviously redone (the orange wire cut in the loom, additional red wires and the grey resistors) lokks like the bias wire from the caps to the 220k resistors was redone and the NFB resistor looks like it had a cap soldered across it some time.

I have no affiliation with the seller and note the mods/repair work that it has had done. I brought it to your attention because mine with a good set of Mullards is a stupendously good amp to play (possibly the best I have for tone) and I use as it was designed to do :jam:
LD50
Prince

Postby appetite4distortion on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm

This is the same seller of late 67 (diode rectified) JMP I won last week: amp arrived today, but I'm not home yet.
Sweet amp for sure that I'd love to play, but one curious thing I noticed: isn't only 1 speaker out bit weird?? This is the first marshall I've seen with that, up to now I saw only 2 or 4 for some export models.
Proud to be loud
appetite4distortion
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 pm

What causes that discolouration & warping of the White back panel ???
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Alnico on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 pm

LD50 wrote:I have no affiliation with the seller and note the mods/repair work that it has had done. I brought it to your attention because mine with a good set of Mullards is a stupendously good amp to play (possibly the best I have for tone) and I use as it was designed to do :jam:

You know we like to nit pick on old Marshalls. :wink:

appetite4distortion wrote:... but one curious thing I noticed: isn't only 1 speaker out bit weird?? This is the first marshall I've seen with that, up to now I saw only 2 or 4 for some export models.

Only PA spec JTM45s had two speaker jacks; lead and bass amps had one. Many have been modified with an extra socket.

Strat59 wrote:What causes that discolouration & warping of the White back panel ???

I'd guess that one's seen some heat to warp that badly.
Alnico
Knight

Postby appetite4distortion on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks, you are right indeed!
I watched some jtm45 pictures and that is, thing I never noticed before - so I understand for 50watters the double spk out as standard came only in 67, mostly with steel chassis era.
Proud to be loud
appetite4distortion
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 am

Definitely some heat applied there to do that. Never ever seen another that comes even close to that warping or discoloration.

What's with the - Private Buyers - hidden ID for all bidders - His previous auction ('68 JMP) had the ID of all bidders shown....... this is crap.

Why would you need to hide the Ebay ID of bidders ? Seller could have a friend bidding it up and then when the price the seller is happy with is reached
that person drops off and the new high bidders wins the auction.

2250 GBP already with still 7 Days to go !!!......Common. :shhh:
Strat59
Baron

Postby LD50 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:41 am

Finished at £2600 :|

I would not sell mine for that but it is a bit tidier. Gigged with it last night - in a church crypt :shock:
LD50
Prince

Return to eBay Watch