What a beauty!!

This forum is for those who like to watch eBay auctions and those who want to alert the users of a specific auction.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum as a spam to promote your own auction unless you have over 100 posts. We ask that comments about auctions be kept civil as well as respectful. If your a business and would like to use our forum to promote your ebay auctions, please contact us directly before promoting auctions on this forum.

What a beauty!!

Postby steveokla on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Out of my range, but what a site to behold!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-FENDER-STR ... 0914740259

Sorry for the sloppy spelling: inexcusable!
Last edited by steveokla on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveokla
Baron

Re: What a beaty!!

Postby Robfak on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm drooling :shock:
Q. Scusa, ma tu hai un fratello scemo? A. No, sono io!!
Robfak
Certified

Re: What a beauty!!

Postby Strat59 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Hmmm that dodgy LA Guitar Shop seller again. Be wary.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Robfak on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 pm

no problem on dodgy guitars, I stop to the Fender Custom Shop :wink:
Q. Scusa, ma tu hai un fratello scemo? A. No, sono io!!
Robfak
Certified

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am

I love the aged strats in these custom colors, a cutie. But I think it's quite pricey, to say the least, for its condition. OTOH, there are people with money to burn.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby steveokla on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 am

Mayhawk wrote:I love the aged strats in these custom colors, a cutie. But I think it's quite pricey, to say the least, for its condition. OTOH, there are people with money to burn.

Wish I was among them!
Biggest problem I see is, while it's Fiesta Red now, and may be for awhile, if you played the thing much it wouldn't be Fiesta Red for long, or anything else for that matter.
It is pricey. I think the smart money is on it not selling at that price.
steveokla
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Read over the ad......fiesta red over ash.....that is rare, I believe. (But IMO anything went at times at Fender back in the day; ie, it's Friday, gotta get out 10 more strats, grab those bodies, etc, let's go....)

Might be a neat collector item, display prop, museum piece ('hard life' exhibit, etc), but at that price..... :o

The seller admits it's poor condition, the case is hanging together by threads....so what would a collector 90+ example go for? :shock:

While I think this looks cool, bad to the bone, etc, I also think it needs to be priced accordingly.

My advice Steve is to keep looking; as an American Picker fan, I know there are treasures out there. And half the fun is the looking part! :thumbsup:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby steveokla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Mayhawk
There's much in what you say--the guitar is a conversation piece. As the seller notes, the paint continues to flake--much playing, and it won't be red much longer. Cool to look at, though. Anxious to see what turns up at the Dallas Show in April. Will be taking a few items to sell/swap on the chance I find THE '61.
steveokla
Baron

Postby holly grail on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Just spot this http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-STRATOCA ... 1c2f182fa3, The tone is there BUT..... is this your dream guitar? :?
holly grail
Peasant

Postby SGM1968 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Original finish? Maybe! But still way overpriced considering its condition as is always with that seller!

I have two Strats with 61 neck dates & I picked them both up locally which is quite a thing for the small town I live in in Somerset, England!

The first 10/61 I bought in 2000 for £1800 & the second 12/61 in 2006 for £1200 - They are both very old refins but you wouldn't know it & both had been with the people I bought them from since the late 60's - The 2nd one I did have to spend a bit on as the last owner had changed the pickguard to black & I had to get it re-fretted! I bought an original nitrate pickguard from a well known 100% trustworthy seller on ebay but as you can imagine the pickguard cost me close to £700 but worth every penny to me as a 60's Strat has to have its original nitrate guard otherwise they just don't look right!

Good luck with your hunt for The 61 - But don't rush - The economy is only getting worse & prices i'm sure are set to drop even further!!
SGM1968
Court Jester

Postby superstar on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 pm

It amazes me how notoriously dodgy sellers still get peoples attention.
superstar
Knight

Postby SGM1968 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Looking at the pictures again I would very much doubt that the Fiesta Red paint is original! The pickup, Control, Jack & Trem routes seem to be full of gunk & crap that is coverd over in the Fiesta Red paint!
Orginal finish Fenders tend to have very clean minimal paint in these areas & hence that is why tooling marks are usually clearly visable

Either its residue left over from a previous paint strip job or they have caked on a load of crap with the fiesta red paint to hide the lack of tooling marks which may actually be a cover up to hide a fake or after market body!!

The seller certainly has the reputaion for fakes & lash ups as previous auctions have shown!
SGM1968
Court Jester

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 am

Just the located in Indonesia part worries me. Sorry. That guitar just looks fishy to me. :2cents:

But it's late and too tired to look any further.....maybe tomorrow. :sleepy:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby SGM1968 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am

The Indonesia 64 looks like a complete peice of junk to me! Original Fiesta Red - NO!!! More like capri orange & certainly NOT original as can be seen by the neck pocket! By this time Fender were using the paint stick method & the pocket should be half painted, This one looks badly masked & unpainted!

A 64 neck should also have a veneer board with an ink date stamp! This one has a slab board & a strange pencil date (?) marking!

Looks like a complete miss mash of parts old & new & certainly one to be avoided! $9999 - Dream on!!!!!
SGM1968
Court Jester

Return to eBay Watch