looking for a new home for my ampeg VI

Small combos like Mercury and Jet, Jess Oliver's fliptop Portaflex, the Gemini, Echotwin, B25, V4, VT22 up to the 300 watt SVT

looking for a new home for my ampeg VI

Postby parttime on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 pm

anyone want this old amp? it's going to the dump if I can't find someone willing to take it. :(
parttime
Peasant

Re: looking for a new home for my ampeg VI

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 pm

It would be nice to know where you are in the world. UK? USA? city?

I'm in SoCal, San Fernando valley, CA, USA :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Oh, and you can just post that on Craigslist as FREE and it'll be gone quick, but if you're near me, then let me know. lol...
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby parttime on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:11 pm

yeah, southern cal is a little far, I'm in west virginia, u.s. thanks for the interest and the gl suggestion, I may just attempt the repair myself, that is if I can figure out what the smoke came from.
parttime
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Yeah that is a tad bit of a drive, isn't it?

Too bad, I'd love to help you look for the carbonized resistor.... always fun to look as see a biggo black area and say "ah ha!"

Fixed the controller board on my A/C that way, it was a relay. Boards cost $450, the relay was $8 :mrgreen:

Lots of people on this forum to help, just post the pics to Photobucket and use the IMG tags to display. If you hit QUOTE above my post it'll show how I displayed this pic.

Just a forewarning, if you are unfamiliar with electronics you should not attempt to open the amp, lethal voltages can be present in UNPLUGGED equipment for days or weeks after unplugging. Draining this charge before working on an amp is paramount to safety.

Unit_1
Prince

Postby parttime on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm somewhat familiar, this amp is old tube type, no board that I could see with the back removed. The smoke is coming from the device that the power cord enters, looks like a transformer. thanks again, I may try to post some pics. later when I'm home.
parttime
Peasant

Return to Ampeg