'66 Ampeg Reverberocket Issue

Small combos like Mercury and Jet, Jess Oliver's fliptop Portaflex, the Gemini, Echotwin, B25, V4, VT22 up to the 300 watt SVT

'66 Ampeg Reverberocket Issue

Postby whatdisay on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:41 pm

So a few weeks back I bought a '66 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 in great shape. Played it for about half an hour before buying. No problems.

Last week I started getting a strange noise appearing "behind" my notes, but ONLY when I would play an E flat. I've had a rattle in an amp before, this is not a rattle. It's something coming through the speaker. I've ruled out any cable, electric or guitar problems.

I first thought it could be the V5 12AX7. I have ended up swapping out both 12AX7s with tried and true 12AX7s that sound fine in other amps of mine. I don't have backup 7591s or a 6U10 yet (I've ordered some from Brent Jesse).

After a few days of just having that kinda scratchy, awful noise behind the E flat notes, I started getting the noise more often. As of yesterday, after playing for a decent stretch, I would hear a sort of high to medium-high pitched hum after I silenced the guitar. I could always get rid of the high-pitched hum by lightly tapping the front of the chassis.

I'm thinking it might be a dying 6U10 but I guess it could also be the power tubes. I've not yet had my tech check out the caps, but it does appear to have a replacement cap can.
whatdisay
Peasant

Re: '66 Ampeg Reverberocket Issue

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Ghost notes are classic symptoms of low filtering/bad filter caps, get her to yer tech pronto. :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: '66 Ampeg Reverberocket Issue

Postby slider313 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Ghost notes are classic symptoms of low filtering/bad filter caps, get her to yer tech pronto. :wink:

Yes, especially when you hearing overtones. I've had good luck replacing the original 70/40/40 @ 450v can with 40/40/40 @ 525v. You don't really need 70uf of filtering for an 18 watt cathode biased amp.

The JJ 7591's are good sounding tubes and are cost effective.
slider313
Squire

Return to Ampeg