Heavily used and modded V4 noise issues

Small combos like Mercury and Jet, Jess Oliver's fliptop Portaflex, the Gemini, Echotwin, B25, V4, VT22 up to the 300 watt SVT

Re: Heavily used and modded V4 noise issues

Postby jaywalker on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 pm

PM me with an email addy if you want the schematic for the 2nd gen
jaywalker
Baron

Postby ThisLifeILead on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:26 pm

You just sent them to me ;) thank you
Got it home and fiddling with it today....Wow...v4 might get set aside
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby jaywalker on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:05 am

Doh! :Doh: I've completely absorbed in a 18w build...that's my excuse, stickin' to it
jaywalker
Baron

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:14 am

no worries bud;) :jam:
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm

UPDATE for future V4 troubleshooting.

Well this amp has been in storage for YEARS!! I finally brought it out for a fresh look. and lo and behold I wired the Power supply bleed resistors wrong on the series caps when I originally recapped the amp. DOH!
So with that fixed up the major hum is gone and I can actually play the amp on Channel 2. Channel 1 is still noisy but it still has all the original jacks and shielded wire.The mid control injects a lot of hum too. before putting it away 3 yrs ago I shotgun replaced all the coupling caps except the two low voltage caps in the mid inductor circuit. SO..... I am ordering a bunch of shielded wire, new jacks, 2 more caps and replacing ALL the plate resistors.... rewiring the ground at the inputs to a real chassis ground. I feel pretty confident it should behave :jam:
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby jaywalker on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 am

I have a Model T Super (2nd gen). When it arrived a couple of the 6550 power tubes were rattleing around in pieces but no other damages. I replaced all original elytics and stuck new Wing C's in it (They were good and just slightly higher priced than their competitors eleven years ago). I also did the mod to deal with the volume drop and another one...both simple and worthwhile.
Fire breathing monsters through a 300w Marshall cab is what they is!
jaywalker
Baron

Postby ThisLifeILead on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I will never sell my 2nd gen T. Ever. Its been the most used amp in my arsenal. Its my favorite and after paying to get it to canada it will stay here. I used some inheritance to buy it. Some might say that was foolish but its on almost everyone of my friends albums. :jam:
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Previous

Return to Ampeg