Joe Bonamassa

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Joe Bonamassa

Postby Bman (returns) on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:39 pm

I've recently picked up the latest Black Country Communion CD and am digging the guitar work and the varied tones he gets. After doing a tad of googling and watching a couple of performances it's obvious Eric Johnson is a big influence in his tone,playing and the way he works his 'rig'. I read a few comments on some you tube posts that criticize him for his EJ licks but the album doesn't really reflect it as much as his live performances. I guess everyone has their go-to licks engraved in them.

I knew he used a Jubilee but was sort of dissapointed to see he used two amps in tandem to get his tones. He actually uses 4 amps, but 2 amps for one tone and the other 2 for another tone, which EJ does but one amp each. I like Joe's 'dark' tone and the way he's able to get very expressive with it. Also, I was suprised at how he's always tinkering with his tone knobs rather than switching to his front P/U. He just dials in with his volume and tone knobs and cranks away at it. He's really good at projecting his dynamics.

Most of all I love the 'dark' tone. Sort of reminds me of Ritchie Blackmore and Lynch Mob's second album where GLynch's tone was much darker. It sounds 'tubey' if you know what I mean. Also, the lack of gain makes you work at it, which I like.

I'm anxious to restring my Les Paul and let the inspiration work it's magic on me :jam: I don't think I've ever gotten my Marshall to sound that dark though.
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Re: Joe Bonamassa

Postby Roy Boltz on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey Bman

Yeah I like Joe's tone too.
His Jubilee is realy the staple for his sound IMHO.
I tried mixing amps & it's just too much work to get the sound just right on a consisitant basis.
Joe on the other hand has the experience & has probably tried everything under the sun & IMO has a great live sound going on.
He does play pretty loud even when he used to play small rooms.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Bman (returns) on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm really only familiar with his work on the 2nd BCC album. I listened to it for about a week while on vacation and no guitar around...lol. It really made me jones to play. So I got home and dialed in a tone similar to his. Less gain, more dark. Had fun with it but did what I always do which is go back to my tone. I'll bet he and everyone else does the same thing...lol.

Anyways, I like hearing guitarist like him, Satch, etc. play in band settings. I prefer that to the instrumentals usually.
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Postby Roy Boltz on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Yeah, I can only hope to get the same feel & skill to express it as well as Joe does, LOL
The Marshall sound is more in your face with his new project.
I don't think Joe uses the lead channel on the Jubilee to be honest & I havn't seen any video of his amp & pedal settings at very detailed description.
But I think he useses boost /drive/ fuzz ect. for his gain sounds in conjunction with his amp gain settings.
I also have the opinion that he may just use the jubilee with the rythm clip pulled & just uses pedals / amps, his volume & attack for the various gain levels he chooses.
If he uses the lead channel on the Jubilee? I can't tell but i don't think he does, I think he either has it on the lead channel all the time, but the rythm clip on that rythm channel pulled has a nice boost to it, the lead channel is smooth, but not as much as my tube screamer in the rythm mode.It just cleans up much better to my ears.
I would love to see what his amp & pedal settings are.
I find that the treble circuit on the Jube can be dialed out some with out having too much effect on the gain of the preamp, at least I find on my amp I leave treble between 2-3,,,,mid on 8,,,,bass on 7,,,,,presence on 2,,,& for the most part, the master has to be at least at 7 to the threshold of the sweetspot but at least it's not stupid loud like some 800's need to be to at least hold a candle to what the Jubilee says to my ears anyways.
The Jube to me reacts very much the same way as my plexi as far as the dynamics of the gain, but is much darker & less sparkle.The tone will be good'n tight & have a dark bark & will smooth out substantially with a tube screamer.
Then it's just a matter of turning down some, switch off the TS & it rings like a bell with the right speakers.

I use my TS set at almost zero gain or drive ,almost zero tone & almost full level on my TS10 & it's "just right".
I find the preamp gain more dynamic in the rythm clip mode which is why I tend to think he just leaves the Jube in that mode.
I at least find an abundance of sustain with humbuckers in that mode & the character of the guitar's voice is still intact as I find the gain not as "distorted" as I would say but a more cleaner sustain that cuts better as opposed to a kind of compressed modded JCM sound of the lead channel.
I boost rather heavy with strat single coils.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:04 am

Well, I just checked some videos & it appears that Joe does use the lead channel engaged on his Jubilee after all. :oops:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Bman (returns) on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:36 pm

He's got a couple of You Tube videos where he runs through his gear. The Jubilee is the only constant it seems. Plus I've read that he is in love with it.

I downloaded the 1st BCC album. Not nearly as good as the 2nd IMO. The 2nd has some real cool songs and Joe's playing strays away from the Eric Johnson runs he sometimes gets criticized for. Personally, why criticize him for his influence? Very few call out SRV for his Hendrix patterns yet anyone doing the same thing now is called a SRV clone. Oh well. If you do it well, then rock it!!!
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah, It seems he uses the lead gain engaged & runs the pre at 5 on both the input gain & lead master controls.
I am not positive if he has the input gain control pulled or not, but as it seems, he uses the lead channel & relies on the dynamics of that channel as opposed to what I thought.
I guess that is what he uses his other amps for in conjunction with the Jubilee & that is for a cleaner sound as I find the amp seems to clean up better with just the rythm clip pulled on the clean channel for obvious reasons.
I find the cleans wonderful on the Jubilee in that mode at a decent level where I have some more on the volume knob I can use for leads.

Joe does seem to get critisized for his EJ emulation on some forums, & I find that silly as I copy all the people & gain inspiration from all the time & whoever says otherwise is just kidding themselves if they are the all time original guitar jackson.

I kind of like the way Joe plays EJ better than EJ play's EJ to be quite honest. :lol:

Cheers
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Bman (returns) on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm

From what I've heard, I prefer him to EJ to and that's nothing against EJ. I think Joe plays outside EJ's 'syle' which makes him more dynamic in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, EJ 'style' is something everyone would LOVE to have as their own.
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Postby Bman (returns) on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 am

OMG, just checked out him TEARING IT UP in this solo' "Slow Gin". I'm so gonna rip this guy's chops off...lol!! (yeah, I like I could).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46UFXQVSnKs&feature=related
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Postby Roy Boltz on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Just can't ignore that tone man!!!! :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Quig on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:13 pm

There's a lot of info on the bonamassa-forum as well, I think Joe runs through the whole multi-amp-philosophy himself. IIRC he uses the Jubilee with a DD-3 in the loop, to get treble and bass freq he wants, and then kicks in one of the others for different mid-range sounds. Also as mentioned he gives a couple of runthroughs on a couple of youtube-videos. I like that he's a real gearhead - like most of us here :D

I'm seeing him live with BCC tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a good look at his rig 8)

ps: in the studio he uses all kinds of stuff, not just his live rig.
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

I heard that when he was on downtime in Winnipeg, must be about a good 8 years back now he visited a few pawn shops around the exchange district where he was gigging. He also stopped in Gar Gillies' shop to talk about the Herzog among other things as told to me by Gar a few days after.
I heard from a friend that went to see him said he was in town but I haven't even really heard his stuff too much & I didn't get to see him live then.
Tone lizard said he rocked the house rather loud! :cheers:
It would've been cool to meet him at the shop though as I was totally into gear back then.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Quig on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:47 am

Saw BCC live yesterday, and it was AWESOME :jam: :cheers:

Joe used a different rig, though. I couldn't see properly from where I was standing, but rumors on the web says a black jubilee and two jcm2000s..
Sounded great,though, so I guess I don't really need to save up for a Van Weelden after all :P

Also, probably one of the loudest gigs I've ever been at. Too bad Beth Hart didn't show up to do a song (she was playing at the same gig), but at least Joe brought the Theremin :)

edit: Got some unconfirmed backstage rumour - seemed valid though - he uses to good old rig after all, behind the marshalls.
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby Bman (returns) on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:48 pm

After listenting to a few albums (or whatever you call them now.....I dowloaded off of I-Tunes) and browsing his forum and seeing the you tube videos, his set up is actually simple even though there are 4 amps involved. All he's trying to achieve is being able to dial in a 'crisp' tone that stays articulate but also somewhat compressed and tight. He lets his Jubilee do most of the work with the other amps accenting a more clean or dirty sound.

I've been wearing out the two BCC albums and his live album.
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones